How do I change serving sizes to grams

Options
I have done a search of the stickies and can't seem to find the answer. I have decided to switch from LoseIt to MFP since it seems MFP plays with the FitBit better.

Here's my issue: this morning I had 29grams of Almond Butter. Scanned the barcode and it came up 2/tbsp/32 grams. Great! But when I go to adjust the serving it only gives me the serving in 1/4, 1/2, 1 etc. In LI, I am able to then hit the bar scan at the bottom to edit. I can then change serving from "1" to 32 grams then when I log it I can adjust to 29 (or whatever) and it auto changes the stats to what 29grams would be. When I try to do this on MFP I can't find a gram serving just generic 1 etc and can't figure out how to change it. Any help or thread you can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You have 2 options in this case:

Option 1: manually search the database for one that has the correct nutrition information and has serving size as grams (there is bound to be at least one entry done this way, finding it can be tricky though), once you log it, it will show on your recently used list and you won't have to search through the database for it again

Option 2: create your entry for it with the serving size as grams. It will always be on the "My Foods" list this way.

I usually opt for option 2. The only time I do option 1 is if it's something I'm not likely to use often, but for things I eat regularly, I just add it myself.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i manually search 95% of my foods. i (generally) only use the scanner if im eating the entire container or whatever it is.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you much for your help. I did try option 1 but came up empty. So for option 2 I need to manual add everything correct? CyberTone, thanks but that's too much maths for me, haha.

Thank you for the welcome. I have been a longtime lurker on MFP and have wanted to make the switch but have been too lazy to add years of entries all over again. However I like the real time sync with FitBit and most here seem to be of a similar mindset (CICO) to mine so I think I'll stick around.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    or just do the math...

If a serving is 32g and you had 29g, 29/92 = .90625 so log .91 servings.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    If you want to use that entry, change your quantity input method from fraction to decimal, then enter 0.906 (29 divided by 32 equals 0.90625). It's clunky and irritating, but welcome to MFP!

That's what I do. So freaking stupid. I think it has to do with the people who enter the info in the first place though. If it has the option for 32g just have the stupid thing figure out how much 1g is. Can myfitnesspal please add a popup calculator or something to the app? And please people when entering info in the database please use grams as the serving size. Most packages have it on them.
  • wenrob
    Options
    or just do the math...

Is the 92 you have there a typo? I think I will just suck it up and enter manually if it's not in the data base so it appears how I'm used to.
    srecupid wrote: »
    If you want to use that entry, change your quantity input method from fraction to decimal, then enter 0.906 (29 divided by 32 equals 0.90625). It's clunky and irritating, but welcome to MFP!

That's what I do. So freaking stupid. I think it has to do with the people who enter the info in the first place though. If it has the option for 32g just have the stupid thing figure out how much 1g is. Can myfitnesspal please add a popup calculator or something to the app? And please people when entering info in the database please use grams as the serving size. Most packages have it on them.
    In the LI app all you have to do is hit "edit" and you can change the serving type to grams, ounces or whatever then it will adjust properly when you enter how much you ate. I thought for sure MFP would have the same type of feature. I'm actually really good at eyeballing, I can spread 32 grams onto my English Muffin exactly about 90% of the time but for those times I want a little more or a little less I like to be able to break it down.
  • srecupid
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    or just do the math...

Is the 92 you have there a typo? I think I will just suck it up and enter manually if it's not in the data base so it appears how I'm used to.

In the LI app all you have to do is hit "edit" and you can change the serving type to grams, ounces or whatever then it will adjust properly when you enter how much you ate. I thought for sure MFP would have the same type of feature. I'm actually really good at eyeballing, I can spread 32 grams onto my English Muffin exactly about 90% of the time but for those times I want a little more or a little less I like to be able to break it down.

I don't know what LI app is but, I know you can do it but, when someone choses something stupid like cups or something for the serving size it doesn't convert to grams. But, if you enter the information say 28g=1serving in the first place it will scale linearly for as many grams as you want. At least for me. But, it doesn't convert to ounces then. Is there a way to enter both when adding new foods?
  • wenrob
    edited January 2016
    Options

I don't know what LI app is but, I know you can do it but, when someone choses something stupid like cups or something for the serving size it doesn't convert to grams. But, if you enter the information say 28g=1serving in the first place it will scale linearly for as many grams as you want. At least for me. But, it doesn't convert to ounces then. Is there a way to enter both when adding new foods?

LI=LoseIt
    I'm talking scan the barcode and being able to change the serving from 2tbsps to 32grams and saving it that way so that when I bring it up it will give me grams. What I'm gathering is I will have to make a new entry, enter my serving as grams and then add all the stats (calories, fat, protein etc.) save and then I will have it and it will scale as I want.
  • srecupid
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »

LI=LoseIt
    I'm talking scan the barcode and being able to change the serving from 2tbsps to 32grams and saving it that way so that when I bring it up it will give me grams. What I'm gathering is I will have to make a new entry, enter my serving as grams and then add all the stats (calories, fat, protein etc.) save and then I will have it and it will scale as I want.

Ah ok. What I have been doing is looking at the label and as long as the calorie serving matches up just using the decimal number of weighed grams/serving grams as the serving size. I actually stopped using loseit for the reason that MFP had more options in grams it seemed like.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I use the decimal option and just do the math.
  • wenrob
    Options
    Hopefully I will find more in grams as I go. This is my first day using the app and I couldn't find Almond Butter in grams, tried to edit and realized I couldn't. LoseIt's database has been failing me a lot lately, stuff I KNOW was in there suddenly isn't and to get realtime Fitbit adjustments you have to go premium. So here I am making the switch to MFP.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,729 Member
    Options
    You can chose to edit an existing user entered entry that is wrong. For example by switching 1tbsp (15g) to 15g (1 tbsp). It then keeps it in your "my foods" list and pops it up first when searching the general database. Whether it updates for other people... I don't know.
  • srecupid
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You can chose to edit an existing user entered entry that is wrong. For example by switching 1tbsp (15g) to 15g (1 tbsp). It then keeps it in your "my foods" list and pops it up first when searching the general database. Whether it updates for other people... I don't know.

Can you edit from the phone though? And when entering is the serving size able to be comma separated or something like 1tbsp,1oz,28g? So that it can do the math for either way someone wants to measure? I just hate it when i find something stupid like ml for solid food but, no grams.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options

That is what I end up doing quite often as well, although I have stumbled across entries that have serving size of say 1 Cup/80 grams, and then in the drop down it actually has a 1 gram option. Maybe they are going through the database to make that a possibility when the information it there. I have the same struggle with things that have the main measure as cups rather than ml since all labels for liquids in Canada are in ml not even listing fluid oz.
  • wenrob
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Where can I do this? Would you mind waking me through it?

• srecupid
    Options

That is what I end up doing quite often as well, although I have stumbled across entries that have serving size of say 1 Cup/80 grams, and then in the drop down it actually has a 1 gram option. Maybe they are going through the database to make that a possibility when the information it there. I have the same struggle with things that have the main measure as cups rather than ml since all labels for liquids in Canada are in ml not even listing fluid oz.

And how about measuring liquids on a food scale? Mine has a ml option but, is that accurate? I'm curious
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I use the decimal option and just do the math.

Yes, I keep a calculator program running and just do the math.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, typo. Too late to edit now. 29/32 = .91 servings roughly.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for bumping an older thread, but how do I change to the option of entering decimal points instead of fractions?