What is everyone doing for exercise

Options
Ok so I have alot of weight to lose....140 pounds and I have a bad knee...I get cortisone injections. What are some good exercise ideas for someone like me? I want to start jogging but I know at my current weight I may hurt myself.

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    any low impact exercise would probably be ok (swimming, elliptical, walking), and possibly strength training.

What does your doctor say considering you are getting treatment for your knee?

Personally, for weight loss I eat at a deficit, for strength I lift weights, and I try to get some cardio in (mostly fast walking and some running) for endurance.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I walk, and have the normal 10k steps as my daily goal, mainly so I can eat more every day. I've been using a treadmill to get most of the steps all at once, and as that gets easier I'm starting to think about trying the C25K program, which gently eases you into running (from what I've heard). Maybe look into that to get your endurance up?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I would start with low impact and after you gain some strength and endurance then look to add some jogging.

Outdoor walking is great, but if the weather doesn't cooperate I like indoor walking videos such as Walk At Home:

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

For me the next step up was using a rebounder (mini trampoline) for jogging and higher impact moves. The rebounder still keeps everything low impact for me.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lift weights.. I'd think you can work around the knee.
  • Roschelr
    Roschelr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My doctor had suggested water exercise
    any low impact exercise would probably be ok (swimming, elliptical, walking), and possibly strength training.

What does your doctor say considering you are getting treatment for your knee?

Personally, for weight loss I eat at a deficit, for strength I lift weights, and I try to get some cardio in (mostly fast walking and some running) for endurance.

• Roschelr
    Options
    lift weights.. I'd think you can work around the knee.

I was thinking about that but wondering if I should drop weight before lifting or if it would work by itself to slim me down
  • Roschelr
    Options
    Yes I have to get more exercise videos. I have Zumba for my Xbox 360, A boot camp dvd and a weight watchers exercise dvd....need more variety to keep from getting bored.
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I would start with low impact and after you gain some strength and endurance then look to add some jogging.

Outdoor walking is great, but if the weather doesn't cooperate I like indoor walking videos such as Walk At Home:

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

For me the next step up was using a rebounder (mini trampoline) for jogging and higher impact moves. The rebounder still keeps everything low impact for me.