Strength excercises

Options
I wish it would calculate the calories burned from strength exercises too. I do a little of each usually, but it doesn't show up on here as calories burned. Hmmm

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    You can use the cardio section and search weight training. It is extremely difficult to determine calories burned for this because there are so many variables. I would start with halving the number if you're planning to eat them and then reassess after a few weeks. It worked fine for me when I was cutting.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You could wear a heart rate monitor. That's what I do. It's hard to calculate because it is typically not done at steady state and there are other variables (amount of weight, reps, sets).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    You could wear a heart rate monitor. That's what I do. It's hard to calculate because it is typically not done at steady state and there are other variables (amount of weight, reps, sets).

No, don't use an HRM for strength training. The calculation embedded in an HRM assumes steady state cardio, anything different than that the cals burned will be waaaaay off.

OP: enter "strength training" in the cardio section for an estimate of cals burned, or just increase your activity level to account for the work and recovery. Also keep in mind that strength training does not burn a lot and should not be your reason for performing it.
  • nicholerein
    nicholerein Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for the replies. No I'm not using it just to burn calories. I do mostly cardio, but some of each.