Baking with splenda

Options
Meganthedogmom
Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
Has anyone tried using Splenda in place of sugar, for baked goods? Cookies, cakes, muffins, etc.?
If so, how did it turn out? Would love to hear any good recipes that worked out with this substitution!

Replies

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've used Splenda brown sugar in a couple recipes, and thought it still turned out yummy. Just have to be sure to look on at the conversion chart on the Splenda package - it doesn't take as much Splenda as regular sugar.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    They make Splenda brown sugar?? This is amazing news! Thank you for sharing :)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    They make Splenda brown sugar?? This is amazing news! Thank you for sharing :)

I'm pretty sure it's a brown sugar/ Splenda blend to reduce the actual amount of brown sugar you use. There's still brown sugar in it
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have truvia brown sugar blend. .it works really well I have baked with it and used it in my cinnamon bun overnight oats.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on the recipe. Sweeteners won't caramelise like sugar does. If you need the bulk of sugar the sweetener won't work either.

The sweetener should work fine in something like a rice pudding.

For muffins, I replace the majority of the FAT with a half cup applesauce. This really cuts the calories.

I suggest you experiment by cutting the regular sugar by half in your baking and test your results.

Don't mess with bread recipes, and anything that requires caramelisation.

Try the half brown sugar definitely.

Try banana as well as a sugar replacement, say, in pancakes and smoothies.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried using Splenda in place of sugar, for baked goods? Cookies, cakes, muffins, etc.?
    If so, how did it turn out? Would love to hear any good recipes that worked out with this substitution!

I use apple sauce. delicious. i made peanut butter cookies, blondie bars, and brownies with apple sauce over the christmas holidays. you use it to replace the eggs, but it acts as a sweetener. the blondie bars and brownies were amazing. the peanut butter cookies were a sort of cakey, but not bad.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've used it in the topping of a pear crisp and it came out tasty, but hard rather than toasty and crumbly.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    I like all of these suggestions. I've been meaning to try applesauce in baking as well.
    Anyone tried artificial sweeteners for making cheesecake?
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I use the splenda in my no bake cheesecake. never tried it with an actual baked cheesecake
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My mother is a diabetic, so we usually use splenda to bake. Personally, I think most baked goods taste fine with splenda. The only one I noticed tastes really different is Pineapple Upside Down Cake, but that's because the sugar needs to carmalize for it to taste right.

A little baking suggestion I'll give you is to use canned pumpkin instead of oil and water. I'm not sure the exact ratios for homemade cakes, but if you're using premade cake mix, just mix it with one can of pumpkin and bake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    My mother is a diabetic, so we usually use splenda to bake. Personally, I think most baked goods taste fine with splenda. The only one I noticed tastes really different is Pineapple Upside Down Cake, but that's because the sugar needs to carmalize for it to taste right.

A little baking suggestion I'll give you is to use canned pumpkin instead of oil and water. I'm not sure the exact ratios for homemade cakes, but if you're using premade cake mix, just mix it with one can of pumpkin and bake.

If you add 1/2 cup water, 2 egg whites, and can of pumpkin......you get something that has more of a cake texture. The pumpkin + cake mix is too much like eating a sponge (IMO).
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »

If you add 1/2 cup water, 2 egg whites, and can of pumpkin......you get something that has more of a cake texture. The pumpkin + cake mix is too much like eating a sponge (IMO).

I noticed this, too. I made angel food cake with pumpkin once and it was very spongey (but tasted good!)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I use it in muffins regularly. I use the granulated blend, not the kind that is blended with brown sugar. Its not terrible. I find it works better for me in things where I want a milder amount of sweetness. In very sweet things the aftertaste becomes more noticeable than I'm willing to deal with.
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I bake with splenda I will only substitute at most half the sugar in the recipe. When making brownies it seems to make them more "cakey" rather than dense and gooey. although I do think this makes a difference whether you use granulated or the fluffier splenda that is in the big bags.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I might mention that Stevia has a sort of "spicy" aftertaste which can be masked with cinnamon or nutmeg. I use Stevia in a pumpkin pancake recipe.

Here's a similar recipe but I would use oat flour instead of almond, and at least 1/4 cup white flour to help it bind better.

http://jancooks.blogspot.ca/2013/10/low-carb-pumpkin-pancakes.html
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    We love doing that! Just use almost as much Splenda mix as you would sugar, follow all other directions (adjusting bake time as needed to prevent burning or paleness), and enjoy the fruits of your labor! :tongue: