I had a stroke so..

Options
Hi everyone, Im Bob. I'm 42 years old and suffered a major stroke around 4 years ago. It was absolutely related to my unhealthy lifestyle. I had to relearn how to walk, speak, and all that fun stuff that comes with having a stroke. When I was hospitalized, I weighed in at around 320 lb.. When I was able to I began focusing on losing weight, and being healthy and got down to a low of 238. I have slowly creeped back up to the 275 mark, and decided to return to my healthy ways of about 2 years ago.

I just wanted to introduce myself, and say I'm ready to live life again!

Replies

• happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    HEY BOB! You can do it! Compared to all the REALLY hard stuff you've already done, and the experience of weight loss you already have, your already on your way! Get to work right now- one forkful at a time!
  • Loislaine61
    Options
    Hi Bob,

You can add me as a friend if you like. I will be glad to help encourage you. :drinker:

I'm so sorry you have had a stroke, but it sounds like you are fighting back.
  • orangebuttercat
    orangebuttercat Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
    Yes, all the recovery was not fun and insanely hard! Something that I would never want to experience again, or see anyone go through. It should be a lay-up right?

Too bad I love Coke and Hamburgers so much!! Haha
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    I am fighting back, and thank you for adding me!
    I was fortunate to be young enough to fully recover, and seeing some other folks who will never recover is so heartbreaking.
    I was fortunate enough to be given another opportunity, no way will I waste it!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hi Bob, nice to meet you! I'm Lisa, please feel free to add me as a friend, also.

I had a TIA while delivering my now 16 yo daughter. I know all about unhealthy lifestyles and am working very hard to make mine as healthy as possible.

Keep up the good work!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad it didn't take another stroke or a heart attack to get you back on the healthy path. Hang in there, and I wish you the best of luck.
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, 1 is enough!
  • willbeskliz
    Options
    I had TIA about 4 years ago and thankfully nothing since. You are inspirational and you will lose the weight. Good luck x
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    Thank you!!

And i'm glad your TIA was not more serious!
  • willbeskliz
    Options
    Thank you. I am now on Warfarin to thin my blood and statins to lower my cholesterol. I get my blood regularly checked. I been seen and discharged by both cardiologist and neurologist. I see a haematologist every 6 months. Not one of them mentioned that I should eat more healthily, do some exercise and shift some pounds. My diagnosis is Hughes syndrome known as sticky blood syndrome. But still I shouldn't have been 230lbs and someone that hardly drank water. I am now 209.8lbs, try to exercise 5 times a week and drink 2-3 litres of water. I want to lose another 20lbs and do some kind of 5k run.
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    Sounds like youre doing great!!! I was on Plavix for two years, now its just crestor, BP meds, and pain meds for me! glad to be off it!

Keep up the good work!
  • jenniferhainessalomon
    Options
    Hey Bob!!! My name is Jenn. I too had a stroke 8 years ago at 27 years old. Three days after giving birth. I gained approximately 40 pounds between then and January 2013. I started MFP in January 2013 and lost 37 pounds, but I hit another plateau and exercise takes me so much longer than everyone else or I can't do it at all. I am getting frustrated. Maybe you can help me and I you!!! Friend me!!! :smile:
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Health is the best reason to lose weight! I know you can do it. The best thing I did for myself is to only have food in my house that was healthy and stock up on fruit and veggies. Any food that I would overeat, I would not have in the house. It has helped a lot. Good luck.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi Bob,

I've got an inspirational story for you. I had a friend that had a massive heart attack at thirty years old. After the event, his cardiologist gave him about six months to live with his heart output at the time. At the advice of an N.D., my friend sought out a completely vegetarian/fish diet and meditation with a Zen master. The Zen master knows that rest and breath are essential to life and meditation achieves both. My friend worked diligently with this Zen master to learn how to slow his heart rate down to below levels of sleep. It was a long and difficult journey, but the end result was nothing short of miraculous.

Two years later, at 32 my friend had a normal EKG! His heart was able to repair itself! His cardiologist thought the EKG machine was broken and repeated the test several times over several days. His cardiologist was absolutely astounded - he couldn't believe it. Today, my friend sticks with a strict diet, meditation, and regular cardiovascular exercise. Western medicine is limited in its scope of practice. I think you too can experience healing. Look at meditation and yoga. The benefits are amazing.

I wish you all of the best, Bob!

Matt
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Bob . . . . nice to meet you! I'm super proud of you for taking this big step in getting healthy and losing weight. I'm here for support if you need it! :)
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Bob,
    Thank you for sharing the story of your experience and welcome to MFP.
    Please feel free to add me as a friend as I would be very happy to encourage you to maintain sustainable lifestyle change.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    HI Bob!
    Nice to meet you!!!!!
    My father in law has had two TIA's in his 60's and my brother in law had one at age 43 - both pretty healthy -

I am happy to hear that you have recovered, even though it was a struggle - prevention is the key now - good luck to you and welcome.
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the initial support, and thank you for the encouragement!
    Matt, thanks for that story, its quite uplifting to hear someone being able to come back from such a devastating ailment!

And to everyone who has had similar experiences, thank you forsharing your experiences, im not alone.
  • Annmarie49
    Annmarie49 Posts: 84
    Options
    You can do this, remember how you felt when you were losing...... it was a great feeling!!! Great on you for recognising you need to stick with it.
    It is only 19 months since my stroke, been hard work, however, I am determined... i have put on 10lbs in the year, however, back at it now and determination will win!
    Take care and continue on your positive journey......
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Bob - save your own life, no one else can do it for you.

You can still have a hamburger and a Coke, but once a week instead of every day. If I had to give up everything I like to eat, I would have never stuck with this and stayed at Maintenance weight for five years.

Just learn to log everything and save room for an occasional hamburger and Coke.