its MY weightloss and I want it NOW

Options
i've only been doing this seriously for TWO WEEKS and i am already frustrated about not seeing progress and want to quit. i know i don't have much weight to lose (my main goal is to lose inches off my stomach/waist), and i know i am doing it slowly to avoid going crazy and i know i am not even supposed to be seeing results yet but my brain is telling me "just eat whatever you want since it makes no difference anyways". i don't even own a scale and only recently got a tape measure, so thats how i am keeping track of my progress. i am certain that it would be unreasonable to expect measurable change to my body after such a short period of time. but i still feel like giving up

i think the thing thats really draining me is that i work in a bakery, and i know that if i am going to avoid snacking on that stuff to often i have to cut myself off completely... i've tried so many times in the past to "cut back" on the stuff i eat there to no avail. i told everyone there that i am not eating any of it any more and hold myself accountable to them and to my boyfriend... but theres just so many temptations throughout the day. i've been successful thus far, but i feel like the amount of effort i have to put in to keep it that way is draining me emotionally.

on top of that i feel like since i cut back my calories i've been having a lot more mood swings, in that stuff that normally wouldn't phase me takes some effort to deal with. i am eating 1500 a day + exercise calories so i know i am not eating too little. i also worry that if i increase my cals more i will never see progress, but i feel bad potentially putting my boyfriend through months of my crankiness to see this thing through.

anyone have any suggestions for what i can do/tell myself as i try to continue on this journey? i just want to get in the mindset where even if i feel like giving up i know that if i keep going i will see the results i want. i am starting to lose that confidence now.
last night i "gave up" and just ate whatever i wanted but i don't want to let that be the excuse that causes me to stop trying to lose weight yet again.

all comments/ideas are appreciated!

Replies

• Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! Trust me, it is very hard when you want to see results NOW, but it is worth it to stick to it. Time will still pass whether you quit or not, so why quit?
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 38 pounds. I have another 20 to lose.

Remember this is a life style change and it isn't now. You want now, you won't get it.

Remember, you have to change your thoughts, habits, and anything else. This takes time.

Trust me I know.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    The key to successful weight loss is the answer to this simple question: What do I want more, the temporary and immediate gratification of eating this (fill in the blank here) or the long term satisfaction of being a fitter, healthier, happier me?

Motivation is born of desire. What do you desire the most?
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You are just going to have to get to "That" point. We all do/did. It sounds like you are trying excuse yourself. Well we aren't your judge and jury. You are. Get a scale- digital if you can and start tracking. My measurements have not changed all that much and I have only lost 10lbs but my endurance is up 200%. I am starting to run...etc.etc..etc.

It is all what you want and what you are willing do to. And it isn't a quick fix it really is a life style change if you want to do it right. Good luck!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    10 minute abs or 30 day squat challenge.

Why does nobody want to work hard? It's a lifestyle change. You need to get that written down, typed out, highlighted and stuck to your fridge, your car, your front door, your laptop background, everything. You need to change your mindset about food and exercise completely. Whining and moaning and telling yourself you can't do it, or that others are lucky and you are unlucky will get you absolutely and unequivocally nowhere. It can't just be something you do once a week. "I'm going to the gym" or "I can't eat that, I'm being good". Screw that. Go out there, make decisions and do something about it every damned day of every damned month.
  • carpe_librum
    Options
    Just sent you a friendship request - I know your pain! As I said in my message, I'm doing this slowly, avoiding triggers, not getting weighed, slowly cutting back (I eat slightly less than I need to maintain) and starting to move about a little more. I lost 100lbs through real hardcore dieting, undereating, over exercising, the works. Gained back 40. No good.

So yeah, I'm on a very slow mission. In my year or so of hardcore dieting I learned precisely nothing about healthy eating and learning to control my binging, so this is a period of education as well :)

Good luck! This is the right way, I'm sure of it :)
  • crownedether
    crownedether Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I workout for 1-1.25 hours 5x a week plus one day of just 20 min or so ... Its annoying to push myself to do that but once I start its easy. The hard part is the food. I just love it so much. You guys are probably right though there is no secret to getting over the desire to give up. You just stick with it. Thanks for reminding me.

Carpe thanks for the add!
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I find snacking on inappropriate things (in your case the goodies at your bakery) much more manageable if I ensure I have fed myself in a timely manner on healthy meals. Find what works for it ... it might be 6 small meals through the day or 4 larger ones. Not being hungry makes your resolve to say 'no' so much easier.

Two things that I have read on here before that have helped me immensely are "Hunger is NOT an emergency" and "If you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, you are not really hungry". Distinguishing cravings and real hunger is something you have to train yourself to do and is well worth it.