where is my waist!?

specifically, when talking about waist-to-hip ratio or the measurements that are supposed to increase your risk for cardiovascular disease. i've seen a lot of different websites say different things. i always assumed it was the natural waist they were talking about (above the pelvic bone, below the ribs), but then some will say "at the belly button" or "an inch or two above your belly button" or "about an inch below your belly button"... and i am totally confused.

also, if i used a waist-to-hip calculator and imput my natural waist, it says i am pear shaped which is just ridiculous because i have no fat on my legs/hips/butt at all... its all on my lower stomach. so i wonder if i should be measuring at my belly button or at my stomach's largest point or something... but that would imply that i am at serious health risk so i don't like doing it :P

please help!

Replies

• RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Hello there! I don't know how much I can help, but when doing waist measurements I usually use the smallest part of my waist (above my belly button) and for my hips I use the biggest part down right below my belly button (perhaps because of how I'm built?--I have strange hips) and work with that. I have long legs and an extremely short torso so it makes it hard for me as well. The biggest risk for cardiovascular disease is usually the amount of visceral fat you have around your midsection. Some people are a little bigger, but it's not all fat, in which case it's okay. Others hold all their fat in that area (apple shape) which is the most dangerous. I'd say just take a general look at your shape (I've always been more of a pear, but not completely bottom heavy) and see where you fall. Apple is always the most dangerous-- the others I'd just kick up my cardio if you feel like you're in a danger zone. You know your body better than any calculator! :wink: