Not a natural calorie counter!

Options
Hi - I am a 40 y.o. who has NEVER had to count calories. I used to have a great metabolism and any exercise I did do was a bonus to improving my body. I actually was very underweight in my teen years and tried everything to gain weight! Now the scales have tipped (haha!) and I am finding that a year or two ago I weighed 10 pounds less. I changed one size up and now that is getting tight! I'm sure a lot of this is related to hormone changes or something equally harmless but it is worrisome. I don't know if having the Mirena had anything to do with it. Well, here's my attempt to try to DO something. Time for exercise seems to be a problem with a young family and work but there are always plenty of excuses! I wonder if diet alone will help?

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    If you stick to your reccommended calories, you should be able to lose weight w/o the exercise. But it's so much easier with the exercise. You don't have to starve! My kids are now 9 and 11, so it does get easier! But I had to change my mindset from "going to the gym to workout" to "squeeze something in somewhere". Sometimes that means the exercise bike in my house, which I hate, but it's better than nothing. Or sometimes I even walk up and down my block while my 9 yr old plays in the yard (we live on a cove and I can see him). Not ideal, or interesting, but it does burn calories. You CAN do it!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there, and welcome! :flowerforyou:

I had the contraceptive injection a few years back and pilled on about 13lbs...when I stopped it...I continued gaining weight, but that was because of mu over active knife and fork :flowerforyou: This may have caused your weight gain.

Jillian Michaels has a 30 Day Shred which is an intense 20 minute workout that has three separate levels that you move up to when you are feeling comfortable in the current level your on or you fancy a little bit of an extra challenge :flowerforyou: I have been using it for a while now and feel so much stronger and toned! maybe you could squeeze this into your hectic daily life.

However...calorie counting alone can certainly help reduce your weight, although exercise added throughout the day will help increase the calorie intake set by MFP (for that particular day when you work out)

WELCOME :flowerforyou:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Hi there, and welcome! :flowerforyou:

I had the contraceptive injection a few years back and pilled on about 13lbs...when I stopped it...I continued gaining weight, but that was because of mu over active knife and fork :flowerforyou: This may have caused your weight gain.

Jillian Michaels has a 30 Day Shred which is an intense 20 minute workout that has three separate levels that you move up to when you are feeling comfortable in the current level your on or you fancy a little bit of an extra challenge :flowerforyou: I have been using it for a while now and feel so much stronger and toned! maybe you could squeeze this into your hectic daily life.

However...calorie counting alone can certainly help reduce your weight, although exercise added throughout the day will help increase the calorie intake set by MFP (for that particular day when you work out)

WELCOME :flowerforyou:

Yeah, what she said!
    Welcome.
    Feel free to add me if you want a friend.
    I am also doing the 30 day shred. I dont like working out for hours. This is pretty good for 20 minutes!
    Steph
  • kmulhollen
    kmulhollen Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion about the 30-day shred. 20 minutes seems doable for me especially when I'm off in the summer. We have an elliptical that I can use too. My kids are almost 8 and 10 and I think if I laid down some serious ground rules, they could handle me working out with my ipod going for 30 minutes. (makes me nervous though)