Sugar in fruits..

Options
Nelson081
Nelson081 Posts: 27 Member
So I've been eating a lot of fruits to notice I go over my sugar intake. For instance I made a smoothie with a banana, 1 cup grapes and 1 cup strawberries which contains 43g sugars which is already over. Just wondering if since these are natural sugars and from fruits that if I shouldn't really be too concerned, I love to eat fruit but don't want to double or triple my suggested sugar intake. Thanks.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    A quick search would give you thousands of answers. This post pops up multiple times a day.

Ignore sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • Nelson081
    Options
    I tried to search and it showed the same post a thousand times which was unrelated.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I tried to search and it showed the same post a thousand times which was unrelated.

There are posts about going over sugar limits multiple times a day.

Searching a topic for answers would give you quicker results than posting it again.

Ultimately, unless a medical reason requires you to watch your sugar intake don't worry about it.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    it's a natural sugar so better for you than any food with sugar that has been added to it during making. However, it's still a sugar so you need to take that into account if you're carb sensitive (i.e. you get fat on carbs which are made into simple sugars that go straight to your belly, eating sugars will cut out the middle man and go straight to your belly).

if you're having the smoothie as a meal with milk, remember milk has sugar in it. It seems like a large amount of fruit for one smoothie also.

try eating more veg instead, like celery, carrot and pepper sticks with humous or natural nut butter (just nuts no other ingredients, such as Meridian peanut butter).

Everything has a portion that you shouldn't really overdo, i think 1 to 2 portions of fruit are adequate if you bulk up your meals with low to med sugar content veg and pulses.

Nothing should be cut out, but 6 grapes and a couple of strawberries and half a banana would have made just as good a smoothie, just smaller. you can always cut the rest of the banana into coins freezer for a few hours and stick in the blender by itself to make a small serving of icecream for after dinner.
  • Nelson081
    Options

There are posts about going over sugar limits multiple times a day.

Searching a topic for answers would give you quicker results than posting it again.

Ultimately, unless a medical reason requires you to watch your sugar intake don't worry about it.

Okay thanks, Ill keep those both in mind.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • priyanka41
    Options
    As with anything else in life, moderation is key.

Fruit is good for you: it's natural, tastes good, and is rich in vitamins.

However, I believe you're overdoing it. I would stick with 2 servings max of fruit. Keep them in the morning so that you know you can use up the carbs and not have them stored as fat. Sugar itself really is not that much of an issue as long as you're under your limit for carbs, but I suggest reducing the amount of fruit you're eating.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    6 servings of fruit is a bit much for breakfast!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I totally do not care how much fruit I eat so long as it is raw and whole fruit.
    On the other hand, I make sure I get as much vegetables -- raw and steamed -- as possible every day. I also do not eat processed carbs of any kind and avoid sugar in any other form.
    Eat your fruit but maybe add a handful of nuts or seeds with it.