Need Expertise..Females, despite Lifting, Cardio, etc..who has stubborn thigh, hips and buttock fat

Options
13»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It may sound odd but I wish more people would use nudist beaches!! :smiley:

Then they would realise that just a few people look good, a very small number look great and no-one looks magazine photo shot perfect in real life

Not a call to stop striving to improve of course - just a bit of realism.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It may sound odd but I wish more people would use nudist beaches!! :smiley:

Then they would realise that just a few people look good, a very small number look great and no-one looks magazine photo shot perfect in real life

Not a call to stop striving to improve of course - just a bit of realism.

True stuff right here.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and weigh what I weighed in college. I work out daily. After college I had a 6 pack and someone on the street once asked me if I was a gymnast because I was so muscular in my 5'2" legs. I have fat now at my waist and back. I've decided that being 61 is just different than being 21 and I have to accept it. Darn.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Well I did not read all of the responses and you have quite a few LOL.

We have to definitely grasp the fact that genetics plays a big part here. So I am 40 this year and I will say that things are definitely different when you approach this age range.

That said and here's another tidbit for ya, when I stopped running all the time, and concentrated on pretty much just lifting and some plyo thrown in, my cellulite got so much better and my muscle tone was so much more defined.

So if I were you I'd stop doing cardio, at least in the form of weight loss cardio. I do Orange Theory where we spend some time on the treadmill, and instead of running I do power walking on serious inclines. My friends even commented to me how much better my legs look lately!

Also a quick comment about the hormones, I do agree there is something to that. I know you're not supposed to advertise anything and I've actually not done much research into this, but look up the Buffmother diet/exercise plan. If nothing else it is pretty interesting reading.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say up front, it's genetics. I don't mean to brag, but I have what I guess few woman have; longer lean legs. I don't know what it's like to struggle with the big butt, thighs, hips etc issues. Kind of wish I did because I am opposite of most women and have the most stubborn and terrible belly fat. My belly sags, a lot. That is the THE thing I thought would get "fixed" after all the workouts and losing 40 lbs. I was wrong. After years of fighting it I've given up and just deal with pushing it all in and hiding my midsection as much as possible because it's lumpy and saggy. I hate to sound like a negative Nancy, but that's the truth, for me at least. I'm happy with my accomplishments and try real hard to eat well and keep my weight where it should be, but I'm not going to lie, I hate my midsection.

We have the same body type. Just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. I carry all my weight in my torso (tummy, back, some on my shoulders). My legs are a lot scrawnier by comparison. I haven't been at a healthy weight in a while but suspect I'll be similarly shaped, just smaller overall. It is what it is.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There definitely are genetically-determined body types and fat storage patterns. While you can't alter your fundamental shape, you might be able to train in a way that is complimentary to your shape.

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm gonna say up front, it's genetics. I don't mean to brag, but I have what I guess few woman have; longer lean legs. I don't know what it's like to struggle with the big butt, thighs, hips etc issues. Kind of wish I did because I am opposite of most women and have the most stubborn and terrible belly fat. My belly sags, a lot. That is the THE thing I thought would get "fixed" after all the workouts and losing 40 lbs. I was wrong. After years of fighting it I've given up and just deal with pushing it all in and hiding my midsection as much as possible because it's lumpy and saggy. I hate to sound like a negative Nancy, but that's the truth, for me at least. I'm happy with my accomplishments and try real hard to eat well and keep my weight where it should be, but I'm not going to lie, I hate my midsection.

We have the same body type. Just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. I carry all my weight in my torso (tummy, back, some on my shoulders). My legs are a lot scrawnier by comparison. I haven't been at a healthy weight in a while but suspect I'll be similarly shaped, just smaller overall. It is what it is.

Yep, that is my shape as well. I recently got back to my goal weight, and overall I'm happy with the changes. (I went from an apple to more of a pear/hourglass. I'm a bit smaller in the waist and bigger in the hips than when i was at this weight 2 years ago.) I still have a lot more belly fat than I'd like even though my arms and legs are verging on too skinny. It's why I'm debating recomping at this point rather than trying to lose some more. OP, you do look great in your profile pic. I wish I had your muscle definition, too! :) Best of luck with whatever you end up trying; let us know how it goes!