My Plan in Maintenance

I'm just over 5 feet tall, almost 70 years old, and weigh 105 pounds (bottom of my goal range). When I first went into maintenance, I added 100 calories per day for two full weeks, going from 1200 to 1300 per day. Starting today, I will add another 100 calories per day for another two full weeks. If I don't gain at that pace (or if I keep losing slowly), I plan next to start eating back some of my exercise calories, which I never did while in the reduction phase. It seems that those calories are what support the workout that you are doing and would count into your daily allocation. Do any of you eat back any of your exercise calories while in maintenance? Having a fixed daily ceiling seems so much more satisfying to me (secure, comforting, safe) than thinking I can eat more than 1400 calories in a particular day just because I was working out more!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I prefer using the TDEE method in maintenance. My exercise is sporadic though. If for some reason I decide to do 20 minutes of cardio and I'm not going to eat those measly amount of calories back. I do it to keep my generally activity level up if I spent a day being too sedentary or something.

Adding back calories by the 100 is a great idea. But if you were losing at the planned rate before by not eating exercise calories back, they're probably not going to come into play in maintenance either.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Your body uses those exercise calories whether you label them as such or not.
    If you prefer a same every day allowance then TDEE method is perfect - and that does takes exercise into account.

In truth everyone who is maintaining their weight is eating their exercise calories whether consciously or not.

To answer your question yes I count and eat my exercise calories or I would be severely under-eating. MFP method is better for me as my daily and weekly exercise counts vary enormously and some has to be fuelled on the day.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    TDEE here ( so i eat my exercise calories)

I switched to TDEE when i started maintenance. This because i am pretty regular with my exercise now. 2000 calories a week.
    So I make sure i get that number every week and i eat every day around 2000 calories.
    When i dont get my exercise in i just eat a bit less over the next couple days. But most of the time is average all out.

So i burn on average 2000 calories a week
    I eat on average 14000 a week
    Easy to keep track or :)

I also added slowly ( 100 a week) till i stopped losing weight. And i think i am there now and found my "range".
    For everybody it is different and you have to do what you feel comfortable with.
    When i was losing weight and couldn't exercise ( medical issues) every day, i like NEAT better. So the MFP system and eating back a part of my exercise calories when i did my exercise.
    But like i said now i am consistent and exercise every day. So TDEE is easier now.

95069916.png
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Things to think about - thank you all!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I really love to eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories, and sometimes all of them.
  • TankTop1231
    TankTop1231 Posts: 8 Member
    Congratulations on the loss and the exercise!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I would think that if you don't eat back any of your exercise calories in maintenance, you would keep losing.