Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hungry ALL the Time!

tjadk23
tjadk23 Posts: 13
I have recently started working out and counting my calories. Before I started working out, I was just dieting, and I wasn't hungry all the time. However, since I have started working out 5 days a week for the last couple weeks, I have noticed that I am always hungry. In fact, I feel like I am starving by dinner time. This never used to happen. Should I be taking in more calories now that I am consistently working out?

Replies

• If you track your exercise it shows you that you get more calories per what you burn and its important to eat your calores.
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Yes you should. Some people disagree on here about whether or not you should eat your exercise calories. Eh, I usually eat half my exercise calories. If I don't eat them I'm starving half the time. You're going to want to eat some of them or you're going to kill your metabolism. Again, some people will disagree, but this works for me. :flowerforyou:
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Yes, what she said.....................it is also important to what you are eating. Up your protein a bit before and after working out. That should help.
  • eat just what you need of those exercise calories or like me you will gain! I am back on track because I figured out my mistake right away! Listen to your body and eat but don't over do it....
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Welcome! You'll find this site is TONS of FUN! Please read the following links/threads which have invaluable info. I wish I had read these sooner!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition">http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition">http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55796-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Eat those exercise calories missy (or at least some of them) :flowerforyou:

You are hungry because you body is craving the extra energy that you have burned during those workouts. That energy is vital to keep your organs and brain full of energy :flowerforyou:

You WILL still lose weight :happy:
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Yes, I think you should be taking in a few more calories. Are you still eating the same amount of calories you were when you were not working out? Your body is telling you its hungry so you should listen to it. Here's a great trick. Instead of 3 meals a day, eat 4-5 small meals/day. Space it out so you are eating small portions but more often.

Also, my sister got me eating Frosted Mini Wheats in the morning after a workout. It fills me up til lunchtime, when some others dont. It's got protein and carbs and the calories you need to get through the morning.

Remember, you burn calories while you sleep, work, drive, etc so dont starve yourself. You can change your settings for how many calories you need to take in by clicking on "Goals" under your Home Tab. You may have them set too low too.
  • tjadk23
    tjadk23 Posts: 13
    If you track your exercise it shows you that you get more calories per what you burn and its important to eat your calores.

Ok so wait, I don't want to sound totally stupid, but I am supposed to eat the calories I 'earn' from working out?
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    I have recently started working out and counting my calories. Before I started working out, I was just dieting, and I wasn't hungry all the time. However, since I have started working out 5 days a week for the last couple weeks, I have noticed that I am always hungry. In fact, I feel like I am starving by dinner time. This never used to happen. Should I be taking in more calories now that I am consistently working out?

There are debates on this subject on MFP and elsewhere, but in my non-professional opnion you should be consuming almost all of your exercise calories. Also you should be consuming more proteins. I don't know your current protein levels in you diet but more proteins (with every meal, snack) along with the correct water consumption will help you be and feel fuller throughout the day. Track your exercise and collect those calories and make a point to consume those calories back into your daily diet.
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Yes you should. Some people disagree on here about whether or not you should eat your exercise calories. Eh, I usually eat half my exercise calories. If I don't eat them I'm starving half the time. You're going to want to eat some of them or you're going to kill your metabolism. Again, some people will disagree, but this works for me. :flowerforyou:

Yeah totally agree and I do the same, I eat half of mine.
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Yes, and heres why.

In you're tools you will see this nifty little thing called a BMR that is what you're body burns during a day doing absolutely nothing. For instance mine is 1700ish and my calorie goal is 1200 a day. Now that is already a 500 cal that I'm losing just by restricting my diet. 500 cal deficit a day will give me a 1lb weight loss a week.

The point of exercising is not only to help you burn calories but to increase your metabolism and your overall health.
  • Our bodies burn up calories from exercise so it makes sense that you are hungrier now.
    We have to replenish what we burn up in order to stay healthy.
    But we need to feed our bodies protein, not fat.
    Thats how we stay healthy!
    Keep it up!
    5 days a week is Awesome! :bigsmile:
  • I was hungry all the time the first week and I have learned to eat a lot of blk with fewer calories so that I feel full. Also, being truly hungry is really great. Eating because I am hungry and not b/c I am sad, frustrated, happy, overwhelmed feels awesome. I feel so in control. Lots of fiber and protein and knowing I can eat any veggie I want whenever I am hungry as me eating many times a day, but I am staying under my calories. Best of luck!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member

Register what you eat and drink during the day, register what you did for exercise and it will tell you what you can consume calorie-wise.

When trying to lose weight, it would be foolish not to expect to be hungry sometimes, however, you should not be ravenous and feel like you could literally devour a horse.

Make sure you eat your protein too as that can fill you up and help prevent bingeing or snacking unnecessarily.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    You should eat at least some of your exercise calories. Especially if you're hungry.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    make sure that you are eating your exercise calories. That will prevent your body from going into starvation mode and will help with feeling hungry. Also make sure that you are having between meal snacks. Small ones if you need them like some edemame chilled with a little salt or some veggies or a peice of fruit.:smile:
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    If you track your exercise it shows you that you get more calories per what you burn and its important to eat your calores.

Ok so wait, I don't want to sound totally stupid, but I am supposed to eat the calories I 'earn' from working out?

yes ma'am! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.