how do i make the half an hour go quicker?

Options

Replies

• MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You need to change your mentality. I used to HATE working out, and still don't LOVE it but I like it enough to do it almost daily. The reason is because I know exercise is the only way (other than eating right) to change my body. When you dislike the shape you're in more than you dislike walking or biking, then you'll start pushing yourself more and exercising longer than 30 minutes with no problem.

I used to think I hated working out. It turns out I love it! What I hate is repetitive cardio at the gym. Once I started trying other things out, working out got easier and more fun. It doesn't take some crazy amount of willpower because I like it.

Now, my trainer still makes me get on the Stairmaster (devils tool) and I do have to remind myself that the results are worth it to get through.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    1. Find a form of exercise you actually enjoy. I suggest trying weight lifting.
    2. Download podcasts or audiobooks in which you are interested.
    3. It's only 30 minutes.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am with you! However, we have to do this. I bought myself a treadmill and I listen to music and when I really don't feel like working out I watch a movie on my computer! I watch things like Mama Mia and footloose to get me going during the songs. LOL> Its sounds stupid but it works. I just started the 30DS and I swear at Jillian Micheals for about 15 minutes of her 20 minute workout. LOL I also have started doing Yoga and it really is relaxing. You have to find what works for you and if your bored change up.
  • suibhne
    suibhne Posts: 17
    Options
    Why are you doing cardio?

Not being facetious - totally serious here. Why? If it's just for the calorie burn, do intervals or circuit training for a shorter period; you'll almost certainly be less bored. If it's for a particular fitness goal, then why have a fitness goal that bores you to tears?

There are countless ways to burn calories. Life's too short to spend time on one of them that bores you - especially because this just decreases your chance of sticking with the program.
  • am2anangel
    am2anangel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Definitely music. And I have this weird Cod thing I do. Counting; I count the steps I take on the treadmill. But only my left foot. It distracts me from watching the clock. I know when I get to step 627 I'm pretty close to the quarter mile mark.(yes I have to walk very slow due to my disability.) But counting distracts me and makes my feel less stressed and anxious it works for me. Give it a try.
  • am2anangel
    am2anangel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not cod ocd stupid auto correct
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT. I get bored with 30 minutes of a treadmill too. Search YouTube for 20-min or 30-min cardio routines. Find something that has a lot of variety of movements--changing it up every 30-60 seconds keeps it from being boring.

That, and try doing some strength some days instead of cardio. It is more fun watching your progress as you can do more reps or heavier weights, compared to just walking or jogging for a half hour. A lot more fun!
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi, do you work out on the same machines every time? if you do, try mixing it up, you dont have to go on the treadmill every time, rotate using the treadmill, the exercise bikes, the crosstrainers or you dont have to go on a cardio machine everytime. do they have free weights and kettlebells where you go? Go online or ask an instructor to show you some functional aerobic exercises with/out free weights instead.
    When i am on the treadmill or crosstrainer i do a mixture of listening to music and zoning out into daydream mode. Daydream mode is pretty effective in passing the time, i'm very good at daydreami.....................(ummmm Gemma Arterton covered in peanut butter)........................................ um where was i? oh yeah, ultimately you need to be motivated enough to put up with it. do you have a specific goal? if you do then use that as motivation. if not, you need to set a goal.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got a stationary bike to use at home. Park it in front of the tv. Put on something exciting, my current fave exercise shows are "the vikings" and "hannibal"
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Do something dynamic that involves your thinking skills like hitting a tennis ball against a wall.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I do intervals (especially on the elliptical) but mostly, I watch an episode of something on my iPad (use to be iPhone). Most gyms have wifi so it works really. I'd be watching the same episode at home on my butt otherwise. I watch "hour" shows, which are about 43 minutes...so it works great for a 45 min workout.
  • Readytobeslim
    Options
    maybe just blast the music and imagine yourself dancing to the music in a club, skinny, in the summer, in the heat looking all tanned and gorgeous!! Hard work will get us there!!!!
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There are a number of things you can do like:

1) mix up your workouts...treadmill, stairmaster, running outside, walking swimming, aerobic classes, Pole dancing (one of the most amazing workouts I've ever done) etc.

2) watch tv (I like going on the treadmill when my favorite shows are on so I focus on the show and not so much on the workout) or listen to your favorite music.

3) Break the 30 mins down in increments ie run for 10, walk for 5, run faster for 5 and walk at the highest incline for 5 (I find breaking the time down in increments helps me to not focus on the overall length of my exercise).

4) Bring a friend (its great to have someone to motivate you and vice versa).

5) Start off small and challenge yourself to go a little longer everyday and before you know it, you'll be doing an hour easily.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    here are my best options;

option a: find something that doesn't suck; if you are doing cardio simply to burn calories, so something different that is fun. Swimming, running, skating, skateboarding, jump rope, rollerblading, surfing, hiking... whatever works... fitness won't stick if you are running on a hamster wheel and going nowhere

option b: run five minutes, then get off the treadmill and do pushups, lunges, squats and situps. (as many of each as you can do - start with 5 of each) repeat 6 times to get your 30 minutes of cardio. The cardio will feel like a break from the crappier stuff.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm a notorious clock watcher, which is why i run and cycle outside, so i don't even know when Im coming to my intervals.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'd say just put some music on and suck it up. But since you're at Planet Fitness, you could find a cardio class that'll make the 30 mins go by faster. Maybe a gym buddy will help you. But you just gotta challenge yourself.
  • Bel0602
    Bel0602 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I listen to music. Or most the time I watch TV shows/movies on my iPad. Try it! Its makes the time go by sooo much faster.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My Planet Fitness had classes a few times a day. I think it depends on which PF you go to.

I like exercising outside a lot better than inside a gym.
  • bweskroe
    bweskroe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only do my eliptical in the winter which is when I have the hardest time exercising! I was making it up to 45 minutes and then we took a break (vacation) and I never went back. So, 5 weeks ago, summer, I started riding my bike outside. We have beautiful bike paths and today I rode up to a lake and rode around it. I was out for 2 hours with a friend....we probably only rode for 75 minutes and that is all I am giving myself credit for. I have walked around the lake also which I love (2-3 miles). I work for a local public garden and I take 15 minutes breaks and do walks around the garden 2 times/day.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Go out on your workouts. Instead of sticking yourself on a boring treadmill, go to your local park and see the sights. I know the visual stimulation helps me in my workouts.

That's what I do!!!