Healthy Calzone Recipes

Options
lkokot
lkokot Posts: 80 Member
I was thinking of making a home made calzone so I can track what I put in it and what the calories are; does anybody have any links to healthy recipes for calzones?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I looked for healthy calzone recipe and could not find anything.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You could try skinnytaste.com but I don't know if she has calzones there.

I'm not sure what your definition of healthy would be so it's really going to be up to the calories and nutrients in your ingredients.

Personally I wouldn't mess with the dough too much or it could end up with some odd, crumbly fail textures. You could make smaller calzones to lower the dough calories. Or make a stromboli type size and cut it into manageable sized pieces according to your calorie needs and freeze the rest in portions.

Maybe put less cheese in. Homemade sauce isn't usually many calories unless you dump sugar in it :s. Depending on the veggies you like it could be bulked up for few calories. You could try lower calorie meats.

Personally I like a calzone with few ingredients so I'd have to just eat less of it.

• Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A calzone is basically a pizza folded over itself into a pocket so there is a lot of dough in the calorie count. I would use a whole wheat dough and homemade sauce. I would also bulk it up with spinach, onions and mushrooms inside, maybe olives, too. Since I eat vegan these days I would skip the cheese. I would top the calzone with extra sauce after it was done baking.

When I was a kid my mom used to make a super easy "calzone". She would buy frozen bread dough and after thawing/before baking she would put a heck of a lot of mozzarella in the center of the bread dough, then bake. Once done we would top with warm marinara. It was one of my favorite meals as a kid!
  • lkokot
    Options
    Those look pretty good and I'm figuring that the calories will be around 300-500 per serving depending on the ingredients and the amount/thickness of the dough used. Speaking of the dough; I was thinking of using one of those Pillsbury Pizza Crusts. Has anybody used them before? Are they any good?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lkokot wrote: »
    Those look pretty good and I'm figuring that the calories will be around 300-500 per serving depending on the ingredients and the amount/thickness of the dough used. Speaking of the dough; I was thinking of using one of those Pillsbury Pizza Crusts. Has anybody used them before? Are they any good?

I use them all the time when I want to make a baked brie. You can stretch them thinner if you want to make a larger calzone, thus slightly lowering the calories for one piece.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by healthy?
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you want to lower calories, you can try the flat out bread/wraps. They're about 100 calories.
    But I'm not sure how you'd get the edges to stick together into a calzone.

EDIT:
    You can try this. Makes 4 pizza balls for individual pizzas. That's about 125 calories for the dough for the calzone.

http://www.theskinnyfork.com/blog/3-ingredient-pizza-dough

Then you can fill the rest with low fat cheese, about 200 calories or so, a bunch of veggies, and maybe some sort of deli ham or chicken. You could potentially end up around 400 calories or so.
  • lkokot
    Options
    echmain wrote: »
    What do you mean by healthy?

Basically anything that's not 8,000+ calories like a restaurant one
  • lkokot
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    If you want to lower calories, you can try the flat out bread/wraps. They're about 100 calories.
    But I'm not sure how you'd get the edges to stick together into a calzone.

EDIT:
    You can try this. Makes 4 pizza balls for individual pizzas. That's about 125 calories for the dough for the calzone.

http://www.theskinnyfork.com/blog/3-ingredient-pizza-dough

Then you can fill the rest with low fat cheese, about 200 calories or so, a bunch of veggies, and maybe some sort of deli ham or chicken. You could potentially end up around 400 calories or so.

Those are 2 great ideas...I think I'll try one or both of them out! Thanks!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Pillsbury dough. I just checked and a 100g biscuit contains 44% of your daily salt requirement!

A basic dough is not that difficult to make. Here's an easy, yeasty pizza dough:
    http://www.sugardishme.com/10-minute-pizza-dough/

The easiest way to reduce the calories in a Calzone is to reduce the cheese. I suggest replacing with a sharp, hard cheese like Parmesan, and using about half what the recipe calls for. I like the idea upthread to load your Calzone with lots of veggies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options

I don't buy anything with Cottonseed Oil or Partially Hydrogenated Oil, but YMMV.

Cracking up at "Artisan" containing Artificial Flavor.

http://www.pillsbury.com/products/pizza-crust/artisan-pizza-crust

Whole Wheat Flour Bleached, Enriched Flour Bleached (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Water, Soybean Oil. Contains 2% or less of: Vital Wheat Gluten, Dextrose, Sugar, Leavening (glucono delta-lactone, baking soda), Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Mono and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Yeast, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Azodicarbonamide (dough conditioner), Enzyme.

http://www.pillsbury.com/products/pizza-crust/classic-pizza-crust

Enriched Flour Bleached (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Water, Dextrose, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean And/or Cottonseed Oil*. Contains 2% or less of: Vital Wheat Gluten, Leavening (glucono delta-lactone, baking soda), Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum.*Adds A Trivial Amount Of Trans Fat

http://www.pillsbury.com/products/pizza-crust/thin-pizza-crust

Enriched Flour Bleached (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Water, Soybean Oil, Vital Wheat Gluten. Contains 2% or less of: Dextrose, Sugar, Leavening (glucono delta-lactone, baking soda), Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil*, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Yeast, Mono and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Azodicarbonamide (dough conditioner).*Adds A Trivial Amount Of Trans Fat
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I don't like the Pillsbury dough. I just checked and a 100g biscuit contains 44% of your daily salt requirement!

A basic dough is not that difficult to make. Here's an easy, yeasty pizza dough:
    http://www.sugardishme.com/10-minute-pizza-dough/

The easiest way to reduce the calories in a Calzone is to reduce the cheese. I suggest replacing with a sharp, hard cheese like Parmesan, and using about half what the recipe calls for. I like the idea upthread to load your Calzone with lots of veggies.

Yup, or replacing some of the cheese with cottage cheese.
  • lkokot
    Options

This looks really good; I might give this a try as well! Thanks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

The roll of dough in the can? Those are pretty greasy. I make my own dough.....
    http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/Detail.aspx?id=057fa15b-f006-4ab3-8bca-e8d1e9efa615

You can sub in some whole wheat flour if you want.

Reduced fat mozzarella (2%)
    Turkey pepperoni is 70% less fat
    Lots of veggies & mushrooms.......
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Stretch that dough EXTRA thin! Then load up on veggies and use a bit less cheese and meat! Yum!