Losing weight - trending/analytics using a 'smart scale'

I am monitoring my weight loss with a weight gurus scale which also includes body fat, muscle mass, water, etc.

I understand that these metrics are acquired with the foot pads through the use of an electrical signal and that the measurement can vary due to a number of dependencies... as a result, the numbers are a "best guess", all over the board and I probably shouldn't put too much stock in them. That said...

Overall I am losing weight at a pretty predictable rate and the associated numbers have generally fallen but have had wild fluctuations. Very recently (over the past week and a half) I am seeing the body fat numbers climb at a steady state and at the same time, both muscle mass and water are dropping. My baseline for fluid uptake is 100oz per day and I usually get well past that number/have seldom missed. I lift weights, do general calisthenics/work a heavy bag, 2x a week participate in TKD (90 min) and spend about 1:30 on the bike 3x a week.

I have about another 20 pounds to loose and enhancing my cycling fitness with/through weight loss is the most important thing to me.

Should I be concerned about this trend.

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Your body fat, muscle and water results on those scales are highly inaccurate. You will see major fluctuations if you are dehydrated versus well hydrated. Test it out. Take those numbers with a grain of salt though. Also, if your weight is going down consistently, then you can always test the fat percentage number with calipers (which is still inaccurate, but more accurate than your scale measurement of fat).

Good luck!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    If measure yourself, step off the scale, drink a glass or water or void your bladder and then remeasure yourself, you will likely see massive fluctuations in BF%. While I think the numbers are somewhat useful tools when taken under similar conditions daily (ideally right after you wake up and void) and viewed as a trend over a long period of time, I really wouldn't stress about changes in the course of a week. I was concerned when I realized my trending BF% had increased by ~10% over the course of two years, not so much when it jumps five percent from one day to the next. So many things can affect the amount of fluid you're retaining at any time and hence the numbers in the short term.

Do you track the trend with an app like trendweight? That would probably ease your mind.