Exercise Calories...?

Options
Hash5m
Hash5m Posts: 29 Member
Hello guys,

What's up???

I have a quick question ... what do you guys prefer? Do you eat your exercise calories or not?

Awaiting your responses ... !

Regards,
Hash

Replies

• brad_brown
    Options
    I was using the approach of eating my workout calories just to keep from going crazy but have just started to modify that approach a little bit as I feel like I have hit a plateau.

My daily limit was around 1900-2100 through this process and on the days I would walk/run I was burning about 1000 calories so I would enter that cardio and then eat almost up to my "new" limit of around 3000 calories. I was still losing weight so it was working for me. Now I am not making a point to try to get so close to the limit on the days I exercise but to relax and just know I have that cushion to go over my regular limit by a little bit.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do not. In fact I do not track exercise calories at all. Example: If I walk to work (~3 Miles in ~ 45 minutes) I do not add these calories to my daily intake limit. That is how I am treating this right now, might change my mind if I get back to doing 18 mile hikes with a back pack in the mountains. Also I save up any unused calories but I only carry over 70% week to week.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I do. However, I put in a bit fewer calories than it comes up with in the MFP database (around 70%), as it seems overly generous at times.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hello guys,

What's up???

I have a quick question ... what do you guys prefer? Do you eat your exercise calories or not?

Awaiting your responses ... !

Regards,
    Hash

I am on 1400 calories, if I do not eat my exercise back, I am no good to myself for at least two days. So yes I have started to eat my exercise calories back, have never felt better and I am able to exercise every day if I choose. Also I have lost one pound this week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I ate every single one of them during the time I was losing weight, and in the past year, switched to eating based on my TDEE just because it's easier for me to eat about the same amount every day rather than high or low days based on what exercise I do. The numbers work out about the same either way.
  • Hash5m
    Hash5m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ... very useful answers ... !!
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back but not all. When I go to the gym and do weights, which I calculated with a heart monitor (179 calories burned for approximately 30 minutes of constant lifting) coupled with 30 minute HIIT workout (approx. 269 calories) I eat half of them back by having a protein shake after my session. This is all I have unless I extend my session then I tend to have something at home like fruit or nuts....

Good luck on your journey!