New and 60 pounds to go!

Hello! I'm new here and on a journey to lose 60 pounds. Any advice for a beginner?

Replies

• Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Buy a food scale. Weigh everything solid in ounces/grams. Use measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Weigh and measure EVERYTHING that you eat or put into a recipe. Don't guess, because you will be wrong most of the time.

Find the best method of eating that doesn't make you feel deprived. Whether it is intermittent fasting, low carb, keto, IIFYM or simply Calories In/Calories Out, find what you can stick with and stick with it. Anything you do that makes you miserable will make you fail if you aren't careful. And in the end, losing weight is based on CI/CO. Being healthy and eating nutritious is something different.

Don't expect it to be a linear loss. You will gain weight, you will maintain, you will lose, rinse and repeat. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose or even gain sometimes because it is normal. Don't be obsessed with the scale.

If you exercise and add those calories in, don't overestimate how much you burn but also don't ignore them completely. MFP is set up for you to eat your calories back. Many recommend eating 50% of your exercise calories back and then adjusting based on if you are or are not losing weight.

Wish you the best of luck. Lots of good advice out here (and lots of.... not so good advice, too)
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Hi, and welcome! You will love this app. I am down 86 pounds using it. Feel free to add me!
  • Stardust818
    Stardust818 Posts: 7 Member
    Clobern80: Thank you so much for your input. Sounds like some very good advice!

KLangleydoula: thanks for the welcome! Congrats on the 86 pound loss, that's amazing!
  • sydleep93
    sydleep93 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm new too, with about 40lbs to go! I just started using this & a couple workout apps this week, feel free to add me
  • aldis_olof
    aldis_olof Posts: 106 Member
    I fill up 12.000 steps each day to begin with, only 3 meals per day and just 1 time on the plate! Drink at least 1 glass of water before meal