Have you tried this fad? What do you think about it?

Options
A friend of mine just became a distributor for ItWorks. It's a body wrap thingamajig that you accompany with supplements. It's supposed to make you lose inches in the areas that you wrap. There's a whole bunch of sci-fi stuff to go along with it that Dr. Oz is promoting. She keeps throwing ItWorks parties and invites me to them but I won't go. I believe in exercise and eating well.

Has anyone tried this wrap system or something like it? What happened?

If you haven't tried it, what's your opinion?

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    They should really be called "Itdoesn'tWork"
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's bull****.
  • hide_yo_cats
    hide_yo_cats Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    They don't work.

Oh and I wish people would stop calling their sale gimmicks "parties". A coworker invited me to a jewelery party once. naive silly me didn't realize what it was till I got there and some nice lady tried to make me pay 75 bucks on a really ugly bracelet. She said it looked "totally me". I must've looked tacky and cheap that night.

Respectfully,
    Beachpls
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    They should really be called "Itdoesn'tWork"

^ This

It's bull****.

^ And this.

And finally, you'll probably get some replies from distributors of this since it's an MLM product. You'll then note that said distributors will be challenged to validate the efficacy of their product, and they'll fail miserably by only being able to copy and paste nonsense from the ItWorks website, where generalizations such as "toxins" will be used without any evidence or specificity.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You already know it's a fad; you said so in the title. Fads don't work because they're, well, fads.

Fads of today = snake oil of yesteryear
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    SideSteel - yes! I think that's what she does! And she does use the word toxin every 10 seconds while explaining it!! I just want her to show me living proof of someone who did this and still had results weeks later. It can't be possible. And these things are so expensive!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but have read that during awards times actresses will go to spas and get wrapped by professionals. I think the herbs act as diuretics and create the appearance of having lost a few pounds. But it's water weight and is quickly regained.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just became a distributor for ItWorks. It's a body wrap thingamajig that you accompany with supplements. It's supposed to make you lose inches in the areas that you wrap. There's a whole bunch of sci-fi stuff to go along with it that Dr. Oz is promoting. She keeps throwing ItWorks parties and invites me to them but I won't go. I believe in exercise and eating well.

Has anyone tried this wrap system or something like it? What happened?

If you haven't tried it, what's your opinion?

So I'm not sure what this is but I'm assuming it's one of those rubber sleaves you wrap around your waist or whatever? If it's one of these, I got one for a few dollars when I use to work at a store. I got it because I had a bad back and figured it'd help support it cheaper then something else.

Does it make me lose inches in that particular area? I don't think so. No...not at all...

Does it make me lose weight: I'm to tiny to shed that much water.

Why I think they advertise it as this: People can warp their bones etc with tightly fitting boned corsets and end up with very tiny middles if you use them regularly for a very extended period of time at which point you're not going to be able to do regular every day things. And that works in a messed up looking way...And the wraps can dehydrate you from water that your body is trying to help keep in your system by making you sweat (you could just exercise or sit somewhere warm). And then if you stop using them well you're not sweating that water off anymore and I don't see the point of needlessly trying to excessively dehydrate anyone either.. I would say at best the results are negligible. Same as sitting in a hot room. I've seen no benefit from using to not using them. Also, when your stomach is getting pinched in like that it has the same effect as a tight pair of jeans. You may not want to eat because you'll be in pain.

I recommend against it. I really don't think anyone is gaining anything from it. Great for a weak back if they need to sit at a computer for a while tho :p
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel - yes! I think that's what she does! And she does use the word toxin every 10 seconds while explaining it!! I just want her to show me living proof of someone who did this and still had results weeks later. It can't be possible. And these things are so expensive!

Don't even bother looking for living proof, because anecdote is everywhere and just because someone says "I lost 3 inches in 2 weeks" doesn't mean that:

a) The inches stayed off.
    b) The loss in inches was directly caused by the wrap.
    c) They are telling the truth.

I would absolutely recommend you stay away from this product.

It is a useless scam that will not cause or accelerate fat loss and it will not "cleanse" any "toxins" .

It WILL squeeze you. If you find that desirable, try plastic wrap*

*Sidesteel Enterprises™ will not be held accountable for any accidents involving plastic wrap.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    It's a fad. Enuff said.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    OK...so most people agree it's a fad. Then why are people falling for it? Are people that desperate for a quick fix?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yeah from what I've heard, it "works" in that you might lose a few pounds in water weight for a day or so, but as far as actual weight loss, it's BS.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    OK...so most people agree it's a fad. Then why are people falling for it? Are people that desperate for a quick fix?

^ Yes. Absolutely yes.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    a girl I work with used to sell this crap - need I say it DIDN'T work for her one bit! she spent TONS of money in it and no longer sells it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

Raspberry Ketones
    Green tea Extract
    Lemonade Cayenne Pepper Cucumber whatever drink
    Alli
    HCG
    Phentermine
    Algae
    Metabolife
    FitForLife
    Atkins
    ItWorks
    GM Diet
    Diet Shoes
    DNA Diet
    Diet for your Blood Type

........stop me anytime....these are just some discussed here in the last few days...so...yeah.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

There's a billion dollar industry based entirely around that desperation.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

Raspberry Ketones
    Green tea Extract
    Lemonade Cayenne Pepper Cucumber whatever drink
    Alli
    HCG
    Phentermine
    Algae
    Metabolife
    FitForLife
    Atkins
    ItWorks
    GM Diet
    Diet Shoes
    DNA Diet
    Diet for your Blood Type

........stop me anytime....these are just some discussed here in the last few days...so...yeah.

YEP. I even saw a thread for eating diatomaceous earth. Yeah, the stuff that kills lice and crabs. Seriously?

Add the Special K diet and Slimfast. You're golden.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    A million times yes...and so many people...And not just with this product.
  • CoderGal
    Options

There's a billion dollar industry based entirely around that desperation.
    This because it's worth repeating.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's the glorified band-aids right? (Pun intended)