Sodium

Options
Is their a recommended dosage of sodium that one should stick to when trying to 'lose weight'?

I have heard a few different schools of thought, curious to hear what you all think.

If it helps - I'm 6ft 2 - 285lbs (male - 30). Not sure if any of those factors calculate in :)

Kind regards,

Ben

Replies

• dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    The various organizations all have different recommendations on sodium intake. I have high blood pressure, so I am for less than 1800mg/day...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The general recommendation is that any healthy individual under the age of 50 should limit themselves to no more than 2300 mg of sodium daily (those with HBP, heart issues, kidney issues, etc are often told to stay closer to 1500 mg). The amount you take in does not affect weight loss. If you have a few days where you take in much less than usual, you could lose some excess water weight but that is temporary. Also, if you have a day where you take in more than usual, you will likely retain more water, but this is also temporary.
  • bstrength85
    bstrength85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The general recommendation is that any healthy individual under the age of 50 should limit themselves to no more than 2300 mg of sodium daily (those with HBP, heart issues, kidney issues, etc are often told to stay closer to 1500 mg). The amount you take in does not affect weight loss. If you have a few days where you take in much less than usual, you could lose some excess water weight but that is temporary. Also, if you have a day where you take in more than usual, you will likely retain more water, but this is also temporary.

Thanks!!