fluctuations in weight

Options
I have been fluctuations in my weight that range from 1-5 pounds. One Time the scale says I've lost and another I've gained. I'm eating right and measuring everything so I have an accurate count on everything I log on here. I exercise daily. Just have not been able to for the past few weeks because I had surgery. I'm open to suggestions and feedback.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations happen regardless of whether you're losing weight. As long as you're logging everything accurately with a food scale and watching the trend over 4-6 weeks rather than daily or weekly, you'll do fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Body weight isn't a static figure...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs. Your weight fluctuates naturally with water retention/release, more/less waste in your system, hormonal changes, etc.

Weight loss, and weight management in general is about trends over the long term. As a trend over weeks and months you should see the trend line moving downwards...if you're still just "losing" and "gaining" the same 1-5 Lbs over weeks and months then that is called maintenance and you are consuming a maintenance level of calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have been fluctuations in my weight that range from 1-5 pounds. One Time the scale says I've lost and another I've gained. I'm eating right and measuring everything so I have an accurate count on everything I log on here. I exercise daily. Just have not been able to for the past few weeks because I had surgery. I'm open to suggestions and feedback.

I don't know how long ago you had surgery, but it often comes with a fair amount of inflammation and fluid retention, which causes a lot of scale fluctuations. Give your body some time to heal and equalize again before you start stressing out about the scale.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Surgery could easily mean water weight from healing/swelling/etc. You may want to give it a few weeks before expecting the scale to catchup.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you remember, a gallon of water is 8.34 lbs, If you ever had a colonoscopy or any other reason to clean out your colon, and if you were curious enough to weigh before you started the cleanse process and after you were finished, you will notice a loss of about 10 lbs through that process. Weight fluctuations are natural and are a result of many things including where you are in the intake/ output cycle. Rather than worry about a fluctuating number on a scale, use accurate logging and weighing as your goal. The weight will eventually come off. The key is eventually.