Elimination Diet - not Dr. Supervised

Options
SnackySnackPants
SnackySnackPants Posts: 35 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Is it wise to do an elimination diet without doctor supervision?

A couple years ago, I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant through a hydrogen breath test and then cutting out all dairy. That took care of a lot of the gas/stomach problems I was having and I felt great for a while, however, over the last year or so, similar issues have been creeping back up.

Instead of wasting a lot of time and money at the doctors, I was hoping it would be possible to just attempt to do it myself, and try and find "trigger" foods. Of course, if I fail miserably, or don't feel any better, I'd check with the doc.

Is this a stupid idea?

I've seen some other threads, and I just want to reiterate, this isn't for weight loss, "cleansing" or "re-setting" various organs (whatever that my be). I just want to help with the toots and stuff, lol.

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a stupid idea at all. Just cut things out one at a time, and put them back in if it doesn't help. You've gone through it once, so you know how it works.
    Just promise that if you don't find the cause soon, you will see the doctor, because there may be something more than diet going on. :)
  • CindyS858
    CindyS858 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea, since that is prob what the Dr. may suggest first anyway. I would allow at least 2 weeks before introducing things back into your diet.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When my allergist prescribed an elimination diet after my scratch test came back with a bunch of foods, all he did was give me instructions (two weeks of none of the suspected triggers, then introduce one at a time to observe results) and tell me to do it, then come back in a few months and report anything. I'd say it's fine if you do that on your own.

As long as you are still eating enough calories, you'll be fine.

***This is assuming you're only testing for digestive/congestive issues and have no history of anaphylaxis induced by foods.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I did it & found out a lot more than a doctor would have. I figured out I've got Oral Allergy Syndrome (relating to pollen, so fresh fruits & vegetables can give me problems. I'm also sensitive to wheat, corn, soy & dairy. My daughter was having trouble with bm's & gas & found out it was wheat.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I suspect the overwhelming majority of people who do an elimination diet do it w/o doctor supervision. On a doctor's recommendation -- maybe. But I doubt there's a ton of people doing elimination diets who are actively, regularly meeting with their doctor about their findings.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I'm working on one that I'm pretty sure my doctor would love as we speak. For some reason, although there are calories and some nourishment involved, my body is telling me to stay away from coffee and yogurt instead of breakfast because it makes me really tired/irritable mid-morning (classic hangry symptoms).
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Leaky gut syndrome or overpopulation of bad gut bugs can cause issues.sibo or candida overgrowth. I'd say try a lowfodmaps/ gaps/ or scd is worth a go. ( those are elimination diets)