I know they say you shouldn't lose weight too fast BUT, I really want to lose 4lbs a week

Options
I need to lose 4 lbs a week for 12wks. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I have 100 to get rid of.

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why the rush?

You won't get suggestions on how to lose 4 lbs/week on here. At least not any serious ones...

If you have 100 lbs to lose, you can safely lose 2lbs/week. You may lose a bit more in the beginning due to water weight being shed. Set up an appropriate calorie goal in MFP, log everything you eat, and be patient. Read the stickied posts at the top of the forum sections for a lot of helpful information.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No one here will advocate that kind of loss. It's also against TOS.

Why the time constraint? What happens in 12 weeks?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If you insist in trying to lose this quickly then go see your doctor and at least be under a doctor's supervision.

4lbs a week would mean a VLCD...really VERY LOW.

You're an adult however so you can do what you want...whether I think it is smart or not.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I REALLY WANT to make $100,000 a week at my job.

Unfortunately, sometimes we want things that just aren't going to happen.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would be worried about loose skin caused by losing weight that fast...
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure everyone who has a decent amount of weight to lose wants to lose 4... Or 5... Or 10 (etc etc) pounds a week. However, there is this thing called reality that makes it nearly impossible.

Commit to a change & do the work. You'll be fine
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You could chop off a leg.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Realistically, you will not be able to cut the much fat a week. General rule of thumb is 1% body mass a month.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Make it two for balance purposes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Make it two for balance purposes.

Nope, the imbalance will work her core so she will burn more calories to lose the rest of the weight quicker. Only one leg is recommended.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I really want a unicorn that poops gold nuggets. Just because you want something doesn't make it reasonable.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To lose at that rate, you need to be on a medically supervised diet. It's not safe to restrict your calories that much on your own. That being said, you can definitely set your deficit at 2 lbs/week on MFP and then do a moderate amount of exercise. Maybe your body will drop a lot of water weight, or maybe you'll just lose the 2 lbs/week. Either way, you'll be better off than when you started. :)

48 lbs in 12 weeks isn't a realistic goal. There's no reason to starve yourself and potentially damage your health just to meet what is most likely an arbitrary date.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I really want a unicorn that poops gold nuggets. Just because you want something doesn't make it reasonable.

I think they are on sale this week at Walmart. Just don't forget to bring your own bag.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Just because you want to do something doesn't mean you should. That is an unrealistic weight goal. If you want to be healthy then you should aim to lose between .5-2 pounds per week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY want to lose weight at an unhealthy rate using a method that cannot be sustained or maintained, you are free to do so.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are you planning your own funeral twelve weeks from now? Not that such a plan will KILL you, but remember, you have a long life ahead of you. You have time to do this right.

By carefully measuring everything you eat and keeping within a reasonable calorie deficit, you will be slimmer in twelve weeks. Keep at it and you will eventually reach your goal, while maintaining a reasonable muscle mass. Muscles are good.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    +1

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I'd be a lot more worried about the health/malnutrition issues associated with a deficit that large than cosmetic issues like loose skin.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What happens in exactly 12 weeks? sigh
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Have fun losing muscle mass, some fat mass, hormonal issues, nutrient deprivation, starvation, crashed metabolism, grogginess, irratability, moodiness, insomnia....the list could go on and on
This discussion has been closed.