Scale hasn't moved in over a week!

So I started almost 4 weeks ago have lost 8 lbs so far but the last week scale has not moved at all! In the last week I've added going to the gym ( treadmill, elliptical a little strength training) I still eat the same amount of calories between 1000-1200. And the scale has not moved!!! Feeling discouraged.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Weightloss isn't linear.

Also, you should really strive to hit 1200 calories, as a minimum.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Its normal to see no movement for a week or more. Even when your doing everything 'right'.

For example, my weight did not move from jan 1 to jan 25. I stayed withing calories, exercised, etc...im the last 3 days (1/26-1/29) i have lost 2lbs.

It wont always be linear.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    You're overestimating how much you're burning and/or underestimating how much you're eating.

That or you weighed yourself with high water retention.
  • sheishei1023
    sheishei1023 Posts: 6 Member
    I thought that might be it so the last three days I've been doing just that, minimum 1200 see where it for. Thanks!
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2016
    Eight pounds in four weeks = 2 lbs/week and that is pretty good progress actually.

There will be weeks where you don't lose anything, there will be weeks where the scale tells you that you've given back some of your losses. Just stick with MFP, log everything you consume, and be patient. Weight loss takes months, even years, depending on how far you've got to go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,954 Member
    Patience! Sometimes one sticks at a particular weight for a while, then loses a bigger amount suddenly. Most folks say you shouldn't assume you're at a plateau until you've been at the same weight for 3 weeks or more. (I see some folks here run into trouble when they panic over a temporary plateau, cut calories sharply, and find the resulting low calories unsustainable, so they derail. The ones who succeed are most often the people who just persistently do the right things, day after day.)

And as Ninkyou said, 1000-1200 is already very low, especially if you're not eating back any of your exercise calories!

There are a variety of things that can cause your body to hold onto water weight temporarily (which is not real weight gain). Some of these are time of month for women (pre-period or around ovulation); a change in type of food (especially eating extra salty foods or more carbs than usual, even if still at the same calories); or a new workout (especially one that's strenuous enough to require muscle repair). So, your body may just be holding onto more water because of your new workouts.

Water weight will stabilize or drop off with time, unless new things happen to cause it to be retained. But you should not reduce your water consumption - that's not how water weight works.

So, if you're weighing/logging eating meticulously, and should be losing weight according to the MFP calculators, just stay the course and see what happens (well, in your case, please at least eat back 50% or more of your exercise calories, and at least 1200 calories net, unless you're very short of stature). You want to stay strong and healthy while you lose weight!
  • sheishei1023
    sheishei1023 Posts: 6 Member
    Omg thank you so much guys! You really just made me feel better. I have been in and out of diets for so long trying to lose 35 lbs and this time I'm so committed to it!

Annpt77- thank you. I mean thank you. I definitely will. I've never gone to the gym before in my life so I'm pretty sure that is what it is and ive added more walking into my days ( my work is so sedentary) so I will eat a bit more and definitely try to stay on track!

❤️
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Not super unusual - just keep on keeping on! My scale has been "stuck" for 2 weeks - annoying, sure? but thats just how it goes - it isnt linear and isnt perfect and you just have to keep up the work!