TDEE and MFP

I put all my information in this-scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and it says if I eat 3400 calories per day with only 3-5 hours a week of moderate exercise, eating 3 meals per day that I will lose 1.7 lbs per week or 89 lbs in a year. Is this accurate? I have my calorie goal set to 2500. I am 6ft, 320.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I have found most calculators to be relatively accurate in so long as the information I put in was accurate.

Keep in mind that MFP's targets also don't include exercise...TDEE does...with MFP your 2,500 would be that plus exercise.
  • dopeheathen
    dopeheathen Posts: 11 Member
    I don't get the second part of your response there.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,134 Member
    TDEE includes your exercise in their calorie goal. Mfp does not. So if your mfp goal is 2400 and you exercise and log 900 exercise calories you get the 900 added to your 2500 so you should eat 3400. With mfp you should eat back the exercise calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,315 Member
    TDEE is made up of three parts:

BMR -- Basal Metabolic Rate, what your burn simply existing
    NEAT -- Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, the calories burned from what you do as part of your lifestyle
    EAT -- Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, the calorie burned by intentional exercise

MyFitnessPal's calorie goal for you it based on BMR and NEAT, it does not include EAT. In other words, this site adds your BMR estimate to your NEAT based on the daily activity level you selected. It then subtracts the deficit your selected 1000 calories a day for 2 pounds per week, 500 calories a day for 1 pound, or whatever. That is the number you have as a calorie goal, so if you exercise you need to eat those calories as well or your calorie deficit goes from moderate to massive.

TDEE builds the deficit off of BMR+NEAT+EAT, then subtracts the calories for your intended loss.

That is why the numbers will get close if you include your exercise calories to MFP's number.