1200 calorie diets can lead to gaining or maintaining weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    @HutchA12 I think it really mattered. I literally measured everything to the point of annoying my husband lol NOTHING went into my mouth that wasn't weighed before hand. It was very odd, I had a different account back then and my MFP friends have given me the suggestion of maintenance then cutting again and it worked.

What did you drink and what are your stats? There are a lot of things you could have missed but I don't beleive you stalled at a true 1200 cal. As is said above most people's bmr is above 1200. If you can produce more energy than you consume you could be the missing link to infinite clean energy.

I am 5'3 (and a half) at the time I weighed 155 pounds, down from 188 pounds. I drank water, maybe once a week a diet soda. No coffee, no tea, no regular soda or juice nothing. I am now 27, then was 25. And I was working out 40-60 minutes a day.

That would have put you at an estimated tdee of 2591 tdee. Assuming a 1200 cal diet you get a daily deficit of -1391 so every week around -9737 so you should have been expecting ~2.7 pounds per week loss. This obviously varies based on intensity of exercise.

Yeah, I'm with @synacious up there. Absent a medical condition, I can't possibly think anything other than improper logging, a problem with the kitchen scale (did you change the battery, @xXxWhitneyxXx?), and/or overestimating calorie burn.

ETA: I just assumed Whitney was talking about net 1200. Is that correct?

Yes I was and yes I changed the battery haha also, I didnt calculate my burn at all actually. I would give myself an extra 100 calories on days when I ran over a certain time or x amount of miles.

So you weren't properly observing your calories out... but you were meticulously looking at your calories in? So in essence you had no idea what you were netting for calories everyday. Because this is implying 1200-1000 calories or less a day which only increases the deficit. You were working out probably getting hungry and over eating if what you say is true.

You didn't live 6 months at these numbers without losing significant weight.