Non Processed Food Items

Options
Hello!

So I am going to do a two week no processed food challenge soon.
The internet wasn't very clear on whether some foods are processed or not.
So for instance, is oats processed? I think you could take it from different angles. i) it hasn't had any other ingredients added too it ii) it has been altered in a factory from its original form. I also want to know for flour, coconut milk and tinned chickpeas.

I feel like this should be more obvious. Like I know for sure that granola is very processed so I won't have that. I want to do the challenge properly so if you know or have done this then please share your thoughts. :)

Gemma

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most things are processed, but the challenge probably doesn't mean all that is processed in reality. (This is why I think focusing on "processed" vs. not is pointless -- it has nothing to do with health or nutrition.)

Yes, oats are processed, they are cut and typically bagged (and then are cooked before you eat them).

I'd also consider flour, coconut milk, and anything canned to be processed.

If you really want to do the challenge, maybe email for some clarification?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are going to struggle, and you've just pointed out why. Lots of people don't even come that far :#

Hint: Drop this time limited challenge, and just try to eat real, tasty, nutritious food, for the rest of your life. You know what that is.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There is no clear definition for what a processed food is. Just about every food undergoes a process before it hits the grocery store. Better than trying to completely avoid "processed foods" would be to get the bulk of your food from minimally processed sources. That's an actual realistic goal.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The definition of processed is going to vary greatly depending on who you ask. Is this an organized challenge? If so, I'd ask the leader. If it's just something you're doing on your own then decide what fits your goals and works for your lifestyle and go with it,no need to overly complicate things.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Basically, everything is processed. Cutting something into pieces is processing. Cooking is processing. Chewing is processing.

Just like "clean" eating, you'll have to make up your own definition of what you consider processed if you want to do a "no processed food" challenge.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's a weird but probably easy to do version of "no processed food" (which of course includes lots of processed food): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/quit-processed-food-megan-kimble-a-year-without_n_7648276.html

I think it's funny that she claims to have gone all unprocessed and talks about reading the labels on marinara sauce. I eat processed food (more normal definition, not hers) and yet wouldn't buy my marinara. But I'd buy canned tomatoes when tomatoes aren't in season, of course!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If I were to do a no processed foods challenge, what I would eliminate is Ultra Processed foods as defined by the Brazilian govt: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, I see what you are all saying.
    Its an organised challenge amongst me and my friend so I suppose it could be flexible.
    However I don't see how it will be hard. I will be able to eat unprocessed meat, eggs, fruit, veg and unprocessed dry legumes (and yes I will cook the food). So that is a pretty balanced diet.

I suppose I should clarify and say this is just a fun challenge (not long term diet) which gets me cooking more adventurously. I'd say I'm pretty good at challanges. I once had a whole month of greek food and my cooking skills improved massively.
    It's not the raw food or clean eating challenge.

I would love to hear of anyone who has done this!
  • Gemzzz12
    Options
    Thanks for the link kshama2001! Its very useful and interesting.
    Thanks for all other answers too. I think I have an idea of what I want to do now. :)
  • Gemzzz12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Here's a weird but probably easy to do version of "no processed food" (which of course includes lots of processed food): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/quit-processed-food-megan-kimble-a-year-without_n_7648276.html

I think it's funny that she claims to have gone all unprocessed and talks about reading the labels on marinara sauce. I eat processed food (more normal definition, not hers) and yet wouldn't buy my marinara. But I'd buy canned tomatoes when tomatoes aren't in season, of course!

Yes I saw that! That's what made me confused.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just focus on eating a lot of whole foods and minimally processed foods...yes, oats are processed...and they are very, very good for you.

Just because something is processed doesn't make nutritionally void...yes, there are nutritionally lacking processed food goods...pretty sure you and anyone else can pick them out...there are also plenty of nutritious foods that have been processed for our convenience...so you don't have to roll the oats yourself and whatnot...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If this is a challenge with a prize at the end, I suggest you and your friend get the ground rules straightened out. Just so you can't be accused of cheating afterwards.

Lots of home cooking; that can't be a bad thing.

Might the two of you do some batch cooking together? That could save you time and energy.

Have fun.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It really isn't hard not to eat processed food...if that is the goal. Most of my diet is not processed....

• lemurcat12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Gemzzz12 wrote: »
    Ok, I see what you are all saying.
    Its an organised challenge amongst me and my friend so I suppose it could be flexible.
    However I don't see how it will be hard. I will be able to eat unprocessed meat, eggs, fruit, veg and unprocessed dry legumes (and yes I will cook the food). So that is a pretty balanced diet.

I suppose I should clarify and say this is just a fun challenge (not long term diet) which gets me cooking more adventurously. I'd say I'm pretty good at challanges. I once had a whole month of greek food and my cooking skills improved massively.
    It's not the raw food or clean eating challenge.

I would love to hear of anyone who has done this!

I'd consider meat processed by definition unless you are killing it and cutting it up yourself. You actually have to "process" meat to sell it, even if you are a small local farm.

I also don't see much of a difference between processed vegetables and fruits (i.e., frozen or pre chopped or bagged spinach) and the "fresh" veg and fruit available now, which (at least where I live) are out of season and must be brought in from far away. (The frozen are probably more nutrient dense.)

If you define these things as not processed, I think that will make the challenge easier, though. I just see a lot of people claiming to eat only non processed who eat the same foods I eat that I consider processed (like cottage cheese, greek yogurt, oatmeal, smoked salmon, olive oil, etc.) and find that odd.

I actually do get the reason you are doing this and can understand why you would want to. (On the other hand, I used to be weird/compulsive about not eating "processed" foods so I am big into pointing out that processed doesn't mean bad). I also enjoy challenges that get me excited about cooking if I'm in a rut or force me to be more creative. I often do a vegetarian period for similar reasons and like cooking from a CSA box (community supported agriculture -- it means dealing with whatever a local farm sends you based on what's in season) when it is available (not in winter, where I live). That's because the challenge of cooking with whatever arrives and using up everything is fun.

So have fun with it, but definitely make sure the rules are clear if that part if important to you and your friend.
  • catsrule308
    catsrule308 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Look up Paleo, it's non processed