{ sugar and flour } need help with conversions.

Options
1⁄2 c (120ml) agave is how much regular sugar?
3/4 c (90g) whole wheat flour is how much regular flour?

Replies

• angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    saw this, Substituting Agave Nectar for Granulated Sugar

White Sugar
    For each cup of white sugar replaced, use 2/3 of a cup of agave and reduce other liquids by 1/4 to 1/3 cup.

still confused/doubting myself.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Agave is a sugar. Don't be fooled. Just like maple syrup, honey, etc.
    Agave is more concentrated sugar, so you use less than you would granulated sugar.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Are you making substitutions in your baking? Whole wheat flour can be substituted for white flour 1 to 1. For the agave (or any other syrup or honey) what you quoted sounds about right.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you making substitutions in your baking? Whole wheat flour can be substituted for white flour 1 to 1. For the agave (or any other syrup or honey) what you quoted sounds about right.

Flour is not quite one to one. It is more like 3:1. whole wheat to white flour.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    What are you making?

How precise you need to be and how well conversions will work totally depend on the recipe.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Flour is not quite one to one. It is more like 3:1. whole wheat to white flour.

I'm sorry...are you saying you would need 3 cups of whole wheat for each cup of white called for? I think I must not be understanding that correctly. I've always substituted them freely but even if you don't recommend that, I think you must not mean 3 to 1.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm no expert but flour doesn't really work like that. It depends a lot on what you are making. For bread, you actually have to mix whole wheat and regular flour, or you need to add extra gluten or something to get a similar result.

I suggest just looking up whole wheat recipes for whatever you want to make. But I wouldn't substitute more than half the flour, probably (but you have to use the same amount).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are making. Cookies and muffins can have items roughly substituted sometimes.
    Other things like bread or cake need to have ingredients switched carefully.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i was making muffins.

i wanted to use sugar instead of agave.