I think I have an eatting disorder

13»

Replies

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Sunflower seeds, my guilty pleasure..... I can eat them until my lips crack from the salt! I don't believe that spitting out the shells is the same as chewing food and spitting it out, the shell is inedible. No different than eating crab/shrimp and not eating the shell, or peeling fruit? You are eating the inside and then discarding the inedible portion.

I think that the fact that you are asking has you concerned enough about your behavior that you should see a doctor. It definitely isn't normal or smart, surprised to see posts saying that it is??
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    No, you're being in control. Having an eating disorder means to go to extremes just to avoid gaining a few extra pounds. I'd say you're being smart.

On what planet is chewing food to get the taste and then spitting it out not an extreme behavior?
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    No, you're being in control. Having an eating disorder means to go to extremes just to avoid gaining a few extra pounds. I'd say you're being smart.

On what planet is chewing food to get the taste and then spitting it out not an extreme behavior?

Baseball players and sunflower seeds. So, chewing and spitting is fairly common. Seriously though, they do it for the ensuing boredom and the 'meat' of the seed. I doubt many are doing it for the taste. Then again.....

It's kind of different. The people who are chewing and spitting their food are worried about gaining weight, it's like a bad anxiety " better not swallow" or else. My friend did this before getting a full blown eating disorder and still sometimes chews and spits.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    It's a form of disordered eating called chewing and spitting. It can get a lot worse and it usually leads to one of the more commonly known eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia. Chewing and spitting along can cause mouth and teeth issues and it can also cause stomach ulcers and things like that because when you chew your brain signels your stomach to start producing stomach acid but without any food in the stomach the acid can irritate the lining.

Advice: chances are your diet is overly restrictive which is why you're craving so much sugar. So up your calories and allow yourself to have some treats once in a while. If you still can't stop after that then maybe seek some help into figuring our why you're so fearful to eat the food.

Good luck to you! :)

So, gum is bad?

From a "disordered" stand point no. Gum was specifically created to be chewed on. It freshens breath and it's a good alternative to eating too much candy etc.

From a physical standpoint, too much gum chewing isn't good for your mouth and teeth.

Food is not gum. Food is meant to be eaten that's what it exists for. To say that is ok to chew and spit out a piece of gum so it must be ok to chew and spit out a cookie is very different. Why have the cookie at all if you don't want to eat it, why not just chew gum? And where does it end? One cookie, next 10 cookies, next a whole meal? Food is not meant to be used that way because then your brain starts to think food is bad and when that happens, that's when eating disorders start.