70 percent diet 30 percent exercise?

Options
I've heard this a few times, with different percentages of course. In your opinions, is this the truth or is it a balance of both?

Thanks!

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% diet.
    Fitness is 100% exercise.
    Health is 50/50

(These are my own estimations and not verified by research)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It's truth. Many people have lost weight on MFP by simply cutting back on calories. Exercise is good for health but not necessary for weight loss.
  • jess0485
    jess0485 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    each person is different, I HAVE to exercise to lose weight but someone else may not
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    jess0485 wrote: »
    each person is different, I HAVE to exercise to lose weight but someone else may not

Unless you have a hard time controlling what you put in your mouth, you dont have to exercise to lose weight.
  • klopez777
    klopez777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was at my highest weight running marathons. 3:50 time for marathon. So not a fast marathon. In my 30 years of exercising and nutrition study I find it may even be 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise or even higher then 80 percent. I have done hour and hours a day of exercise and don't lose that much weight compared to diet change approach. Eat nothing out of a package and that seems to fix everything for me. Drink only water. Lose weight in the kitchen get fit in the gym.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    jess0485 wrote: »

Every person is the same when it comes to the science of losing weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is this the new daily repeat topic? Just saw the same topic but 80/20 in the weight loss forum? Answer is the same: 100% food/100% exercise?
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Relevant:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/28/study-reveals-that-exercise-alone-wont-cause-weight-loss

Small study but I, and many others, have found this to be true. We'll see, they are expanding the size of the study now.
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "They found that physical activity does have a weak influence daily energy expenditure, but only among subjects on the lower half of the physical activity spectrum. People with moderate activity levels had higher daily energy expenditures - about 200 calories more - than the most sedentary people. However, people who did more than moderate activity had nothing to show for it in terms of increasing the amount of energy they expended."
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    80% diet, 20% exercise. Start by keeping carbs below 100 grams/day.