Only working out on the weekends, is that enough?

Options
When I didn't have a job I would workout 6 days a week every morning because I have the most energy in the morning. Now that I have a full time job I'm having a hard time to workout after work. I work from 8-4:30pm on the weekdays and have weekends off. I get home around 5:30pm and eat a light dinner. After an hour of eating I don't feel motivated to go to the gym because I'm so lazy and tired from work. I think working out before work is too early for me. That means I would have to wake up at 4:30am or 5am and I need my full 8 hours of sleep so I don't want to do that. I'm already in pretty good shape at a pretty normal weight and body fat percentage. I do want to lose about 5-8 more lbs. should I just focus on eating right and just working out on weekends or is that not enough exercise? What should I do?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight comes down to calories in vs. calories out. You don't even need to exercise if you don't want. The amount you do depends on your goals.

That said...why don't you just go right after work? You work until 4:30. I'd love to be able to get off that early on some of my long days...be at the gym by 5:30. Sounds nice.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You must remember 'a calories is not a calorie' meaning - they are not the same! If you ate 1000 calories of salad vs. 1000 calories of chocolate cake, your body is going to digest and use those calories differently. Choose healthy whole foods and avoid processed and sugars. I ran into a busy time of the year and just started exercising again after a 3 month hiatus. I was able to maintain my weight loss by merely eating the right foods (most of the time!) No exercise at all I missed it though, because once you start, you will see that exercise relieves tension, stress and makes you feel better all around!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Seconding @arditarose's suggestion. Why not do it after work? That's what I do on a pretty frequent basis. If this is a time of day where you are likely quite starving for dinner (as I always am!), maybe eat a light snack when leaving work like an apple or yogurt or something. Push your dinner time out by an hour. It's worth it :-)
  • miryamch420
    miryamch420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it's largely sufficient to work out on weekends as long as you eat the right way. Besides, I would bet that you spent more calories now than when you didn't have a job, because your level of activity and your stress may have increased. That burns calories too.
  • adub119
    adub119 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    scibba wrote: »
    You must remember 'a calories is not a calorie' meaning - they are not the same! If you ate 1000 calories of salad vs. 1000 calories of chocolate cake, your body is going to digest and use those calories differently. Choose healthy whole foods and avoid processed and sugars. I ran into a busy time of the year and just started exercising again after a 3 month hiatus. I was able to maintain my weight loss by merely eating the right foods (most of the time!) No exercise at all I missed it though, because once you start, you will see that exercise relieves tension, stress and makes you feel better all around!

Terrible advice. Calories are calories period, you won't gain or lose based on what you eat if calories are equal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Another thread where a person can't manage to find the time to exercise while maintaining a 40 hour work week?

Incorrect. Calories are indeed, calories. There's no magical 1000 calories that will make someone gain weight. Also, 1000 calories isn't enough for a normal sized human to eat
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Why can't you have a quick light snack and go straight to gym after work? That's what I do. I also work 8-4:30, although I usually do overtime before and after. I get up at 5am twice a week to work out. I work out every day after work. I go to bed early. You don't have to work out to lose weight. If you want to exercise you'll have to find the time. I'm tired, I'd love to sleep an extra hour per day but I can't create more hours in the day so it is what it is.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The weight loss you want is down to your calorie balance.

I've always needed a fairly high training volume to improve my strength and fitness but twice a week was generally enough to maintain my current strength/muscle/fitness.
    Two days consecutively will limit you though if you are planning full body workouts, light on Saturday and heavy on Sunday perhaps? If you do a split routine you are only working muscle groups once a week, wouldn't be enough for me.

But really the best solution is to get over this - "I don't feel motivated to go to the gym because I'm so lazy and tired from work" and do a mid-week workout one evening.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Another thread where a person can't manage to find the time to exercise while maintaining a 40 hour work week?

Someday, I hope to live in a world where those who get off work at 430 can also, somehow, miraculously find time to go to the gym
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Someday, I hope to live in a world where those who get off work at 430 can also, somehow, miraculously find time to go to the gym

If only there was a way to fit a workout into that short short period between 4:30 PM and 8:00 AM.

Dare to dream.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Run up and down some stairs. Do exercises at home. Do body-weight exercises. Seriously, you have TONS of time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sedentary behavior begets sedentary behavior. Energetic behavior begets energetic behavior. You don't have to exercise but if your excuse is that you don't have the energy for it, solve that by training in order to feel more energetic.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I work 7 to 4. I lift before work (very to the gym at 5 when it opens) and cardio after work (usually get there around 5). I bring an afternoon snack with me to work.

You have plenty of time; when working out becomes a priority for you, you'll find yourself at the gym.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The "Weekend Warrior" method makes you more prone to injury if you try to make up for all the days you were not working out. Either go to bed early and get it out of the way before work or have a small snack after work and head straight to the gym. Full-time single mothers make it work.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

If only there was a way to fit a workout into that short short period between 4:30 PM and 8:00 AM.

Dare to dream.

It would appear working out is not a high priority of the OP.

Believe it or not, a 40 hour workweek is pretty much the norm in the US. Plenty of people are able to do that and workout while balancing the demands of a family, volunteer activity and/or classes.
  • Randy70Wats
    Randy70Wats Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I decided it was time to change my body. I was not a large person but I just wanted to tighten things up. I downloaded this app and it was a wonderful tool. I counted calories faithfully---right down to a stick of gum. That being said....I lost just over 20 pounds in 6 months!! It was amazing. And all without lifting a single weight. This year I am working out as well as counting calories. I am expecting better and faster results for myself. So I believe that working out only on weekends would be enough to maintain or possibly get you into better shape. Good luck to you!!! Stick with it!!! And have fun!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Dare to dream.

Believe it or not, a 40 hour workweek is pretty much the norm in the US. Plenty of people are able to do that and workout while balancing the demands of a family, volunteer activity and/or classes.

I suspect he believes it.

In fact, he probably lives it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Dare to dream.

jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Dare to dream.

You would think but as @DavPul pointed out many posts about no time to work out are prefaced with I work 40 hours a week as if it is something unusual.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If working out is a priority to you, you will make time. It's as simple as that. I'm in the military and believe me when I say a 40 hour work week sounds like a vacation, and I still go to the gym EVERY day.

That's not being said to minimize your job and how tired it makes you, but merely to show you that it all comes down to goals and motivation. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. Or even find things to do at home with body weight, etc.

You can always loose weight simply by eating well and maintaining a caloric deficit, if working out isn't your thing. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Google the twinkie diet......

OP.....
    jainafaith wrote: »
    After an hour of eating I don't feel motivated to go to the gym because I'm so lazy and tired from work.

you just have to decide how badly you want it.....you have 16 hours a day that you're not working, 8 hours after accounting for sleep. It's simply a matter of motivation and time management.