Starting the 5:2 diet tomorrow - help!

Options

Replies

• CalMcGuire
    CalMcGuire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, I'm starting counting calories NOW because I'm starting the 5:2 diet and that's why I joined this site :smile:

And the idea was not to fast on the two days but drastically reduce calories and not to binge on the 5 days but to have 'reset' myself in order to eat less in general (but not have to count calories or weigh out portions on those days). I don't have an unhealthy attitude to food I've just never really thought about it or wanted to do anything about my weight or health until now, as I had high blood pressure when tested last week and I'm 42 now and want to make a change. So I'm also cutting down on caffeine, alcohol, drinking more water, exercising more etc. So wish me luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, I'm starting counting calories NOW because I'm starting the 5:2 diet and that's why I joined this site :smile:

And the idea was not to fast on the two days but drastically reduce calories and not to binge on the 5 days but to have 'reset' myself in order to eat less in general (but not have to count calories or weigh out portions on those days). I don't have an unhealthy attitude to food I've just never really thought about it or wanted to do anything about my weight or health until now, as I had high blood pressure when tested last week and I'm 42 now and want to make a change. So I'm also cutting down on caffeine, alcohol, drinking more water, exercising more etc. So wish me luck!

you are not a nintendo. you don't have a reset button. everything that happened yesterday will still affect you today.

of course you still have to count calories and weigh your portions out while on the 5:2 diet. i still do while on IF.

i mean, do you even know about the 5:2 diet?? it's supposed to be 1500-1600 calories for women on regular days, and 500 on two fast days that are non-consecutive.

you are making a lot of drastic changes all at once, and it can affect you more negatively then you think. i would think that you'd know that small changes can yield big results. 5:2 won't give you results any quicker then just counting calories.

why don't you just try and count calories for a month or two, before we start with 5:2?
  • CalMcGuire
    Options
    why don't you just try and count calories for a month or two, before we start with 5:2?

Yes I suppose I could do that, and I may well try it if I find the 500 calories on the 2 days too limited. Also, from the book I've read (I would not try to do something like this without researching it first) you don't count calories on the other 5 days and that was the point. But it also doesn't mean that you binge on those days. I'm not a binge eater :-)

Thank you for your interest and support, Captain.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've become really phobic about the word "diet". My diet is what I eat every day that makes me feel healthy and satisfied and nourished. Every single thing that goes into my mouth is doing a job to keep my machine active and moving forward.

Through a whole lot of self research and the research of others who have studied these things scientifically, I'm choosing carefully, not under- or over fueling or under- or over filling, i do pretty much the same thing every day, and never feel bored or unhappy with my choices.

When I have my meal, I'm not ravenous but I'm ready to fuel up. I follow my numbers in and numbers out on MFP because they are pretty congruent with what I want and what keeps everything heading in the right direction. KISS!

Last thought- if we are going to "start a diet" we imply that we will at some point "end a diet". Then what?
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You can eat a huge salad with cucumbers, cabbage, tomatoes, and a hardboiled egg for less than 300 calories. I eat a package of peanut butter and crackers for breakfast, a big bowl of sliced cucumbers for lunch and then the salad for supper. I love cucumbers, so I could eat like 10 cups of them and still be at less than 500 calories.
  • CalMcGuire
    Options
    I agree about the word 'diet' and also that it's more of a lifestyle change for me and hopefully one I will be able to keep up. I have never done any kind of diet before but I am a vegetarian and have been able to stick with that since I was 14. So I will see this as a change rather than a diet. It does also appeal to a slightly masochistic side of me to restrict calories on those two days :wink:
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    aw, you won't starve I promise. I choose not to eat anything (other than cream in my coffee which is mandatory) until dinner. I enjoy more calorie rich dinners but everyone is different. you'll do great. friend me if I can help
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I agree about the word 'diet' and also that it's more of a lifestyle change for me and hopefully one I will be able to keep up. I have never done any kind of diet before but I am a vegetarian and have been able to stick with that since I was 14. So I will see this as a change rather than a diet. It does also appeal to a slightly masochistic side of me to restrict calories on those two days :wink:

and there we go.

food or lack there of should not be used as a reward or as a punishment. you said in a previous post that you don't have an unhealthy attitude towards food, but this is where it starts.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As you live in Wales I assume you have seen the TV programme? BBC 2 Horizon I think, and no doubt on line somewhere via iplayer

I think [not know] that Dr Michael Moseley is readily approachable, perhaps Google or the 5.2 groups could help here
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 2 months. I decided to do it, because I have problems living on a deficit all the time - discipline / motivation sink rapidly. So I tried 5:2.

I've lost 8kg. Fast days are not hard, if you choose the right foods. May take a few fast days before you know what works for you. I do well on lunch and dinner at about 250 cals. Both meals include protein and veggies. I avoid carbs on these days, as they trigger my hunger. So I actually have two IF days a week (dinner 18:00 on feed day to 12:00 on fast day, I eat nothing, then again from 18:00 fast day to 7:00, 9:30 or 12:00 on the next feed day, depending on my hunger after the fast)

As to bingeing on feed days - not a problem for me. The high cal foods in my kitchen cabinet have never lasted so long! I personally count cals on all days, because it helps me stay clean and honest (to myself). I allow myself everything, but my portions of sweets or fatty foods have drastically reduced, because I am more aware of their cals.

I calculated my TDEE including exercise. On feed days I stay around my TDEE on fast days I normally land between 490-530 cals.

I exercise 4-6 times/week if I'm fasting or not. It generally isn't a problem to do cardio or strength for 45-90min on a fast day.

There are people that don't take well to 5:2, but most of the things I have read in the 5:2 group here or on fb are positive. Just as IF, 5:2 is a way of life and not really a diet. Once the weight is gone, many continue or change to 6:1, increasing their intake on feed days, if they lose more than they want to. If you slip back to old habits, you are back to where you began, as with every change of eating habits.

Nothing is for everyone. This works for me, and I am not alone.
  • CalMcGuire
    Options
    Ha! I knew that comment about masochism would get the Captain going :happy: Take it easy, sir, I'm not about to do myself an injury.

Yes, I am sure, like many things, it will work for some people and not for others. And, farway, I didn't see the Horizon programme but read about it and will watch it on iPlayer.

Thank you all for the advice and (largely) positive comments - I will pop in to let you know how I get on! Off to curl up on the sofa and watch The Americans :-)
  • CalMcGuire
    Options
    Today has gone pretty well and I still had energy for teaching. My supper was later than I'd planned because lessons ran over a bit and I was pretty hungry by the time I'd made it! Most of all I'm happy I've done today, am looking forward to tomorrow and a 'normal' day, and also looking forward to my next 'fast' day on Wednesday because I've got my first one out of the way and know what to expect. Onward and upward (but not sideways)!
  • farway
    Options
    Hopefully onward & downward?
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

you are not a nintendo. you don't have a reset button. everything that happened yesterday will still affect you today.

of course you still have to count calories and weigh your portions out while on the 5:2 diet. i still do while on IF.

i mean, do you even know about the 5:2 diet?? it's supposed to be 1500-1600 calories for women on regular days, and 500 on two fast days that are non-consecutive.

you are making a lot of drastic changes all at once, and it can affect you more negatively then you think. i would think that you'd know that small changes can yield big results. 5:2 won't give you results any quicker then just counting calories.

Per Dr. Mosley, on the 5 normal days you eat around 2,000 calories for women.

Op, I've had great success with 4:3/5:2 IF and have been able to transition into maintenance easily with it as well. I hope you have success with it to!
  • farway
    Options

Op, I've had great success with 4:3/5:2 IF and have been able to transition into maintenance easily with it as well. I hope you have success with it to!

"normal" calorie requirement is linked to age, activity, etc & depends on height

Check here

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

"normal" calorie requirement is linked to age, activity, etc & depends on height

Check here

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Cool website-thanks for the link! According to that, I'd actually get more than 2,000 calories a day on my normal days :) I was just responding to the thought that the plan says women are supposed to be eating 1,500-1,600c, but per the actual book Mr. Mosley recommends around 2,000 calories for women on non-fasting days :) Definitely tweakable, but the big thing is to not under eat on your regular calorie days.
  • Babs1076
    Babs1076 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you have never dieted then don't start. Dieting is where most of our troubles started. Instead, do all those boring things that we are told, the ones that no longer work for those of us who have spent years dieting, e.g. make incremental adjustments to what you eat with an increase in vegetables and a reduction in the stuff you already know you shouldn't be eating. Stop drinking juice or sodas. If you have never dieted, this will work for you. It is we "dieters" for whom these simple measures are no longer enough.

The 5:2 diet - if you want to do this and have never dieted, instead just miss a meal (or two) from time to time as suits, when you are not so hungry anyway, then take care your next meal is thoughtful (fish with salad is good).

Good luck. I hope you don't end up on this treadmill we are all on.
  • farway
    Options
    The normal daily calorie thing triggered my response. My normal [old bloke, lightly active] is around 1800, hence need to check

I think the normal days are where it can all go wrong unless one is very careful and watching just what goes in ones tummy
  • sawiemken
    sawiemken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't know anything about that "diet" but drastic normally doesn't work for long term. I'd suggest more water more veggies and fruit and less packaged food or fast food (not saying you do any of this just general stuff).

I don't count calories MFP does it all for me I just input what I eat and it's pretty easy. I just have a guideline and it tells me when I get close and based on that I know what I want to use for my calories a cookie vs an apple. I don't dwell on the calories other than I try to eat healthy and if I'm about to get a huge dessert I then check the calories to see if it's worth it for me. I don't drink a lot of empty calories either.
  • farway
    Options

The 5:2 diet - if you want to do this and have never dieted, instead just miss a meal (or two) from time to time as suits, when you are not so hungry anyway, then take care your next meal is thoughtful (fish with salad is good).

Good luck. I hope you don't end up on this treadmill we are all on.

I very much agree with skip a meal or two, and the fish [not fish & chips of course] just do not post about on here or you will get a squillion posts telling you how awful it is, must have 6 meals a day, or five , or three, must have breakfast, kick start metabolism, & starvation mode

Do what fits into your life