GF flour?

Options
Where I live there I can't find Gluten free flour. What can I use to replace it? (This is for a pizza dough recipe)

This is why I'd rather take medicine than eat correctly. My town is so pathetic it doesn't cater for my dietary needs. No gluten free breads, pastas, no lactose free milk or yoghurt. And if I find some its three times the price of normal dairy. I'm a poor student! I can't afford that stuff.

I'm considering living on oats, meat vegetables and potatoes alone. :neutral:

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Rice flour and tapioca starch may work as a substitute , with a little skim milk powder to mix , try a Google search for ratios. Also palo type pizza base recipes often use almond meal a quick search turns up quite a few options , couldn't say what the taste or texture is like
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You could always try ordering off of amazon. The Namaste brand is my favourite. However I now enjoy eating a lot of grain free like paleo because the gluten free options were making me not feel that great either. My blood sugar would spike and crash quickly also my joints were getting sore. So now it is an occasional treat.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My favorite pre-made blend is Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1, however, there are many blends that you can make that use rice flour, potato and or tapioca starch and usually xanthum gum. It's much easier to find one you like and stick with it, than to throw stuff together. GF baking/cooking is so much different. Also, oats are not always GF. You really need to buy some that specifically are, if not, they are usually processed around wheat. I order quite a bit from Azure Standard (you can see if there's a drop in your area www.azurestandard.com) Do you have an Aldi? They have a ton of GF options.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    What about garbanzo bean flour?
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

I personally think it's nasty.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

I personally think it's nasty.

I made a sort of pancake and vegetable something something with it. I forget the name. I wasn't disappointed with the taste or texture though. I'm sure I'd need to experiment with recipes to find what I could consistently eat and enjoy.

• QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Urgh forget it. I'll just eat a potato. Hahaha :neutral:
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Thing is I really don't want to fuss too much about with my diet. And you'd be surprised to know that Amazon delivering to my country is not quite as easy as you think. So yeah. Oats, potatoes and rice (yuck). Not to mention I'd probably pay even more for those things through Amazon than I do through my grocer.

When I did the elimination diet with my dietician, I was mostly eating lactose-free milks, oats, potatoes, vegetables (all except onions), meat and hard cheeses, as well as a small selection of fruits (honeydew, grapes, berries, citrus, half a banana). I really don't tolerate most foods well, so my diet is quite boring when I eat correctly. But I suppose I just need to stick to it long enough to stop missing the other foods. Because I need to be honest with myself, drinking medicine all day for my problem is not doing me any favors either, so.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are so short of options where you are. The Bulk Barn has a nice selection of gluten free flours, including the ones mentioned above. I also find adding up to a tablespoon of Xanthan gum to my bread recipes gives me a pleasing texture.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Usually the GF flours have a combination of flours in them.
    Make the pizza with out the crust. Google "crustless pizza recipes"
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Order Bob's Red Mill gf flour on line. It's great. There are great gf options for eating. We made a huge pot of beef tomato soup with cabbage. There was about 3/4 pound of a cheap cut of beef in it for 12 cups of soup. We could have added a little rice.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You can make your own. If you are already using GF oats, buy a cheap coffee bean grinder and make oat flour, or amaranth, or quinoa. You will need some guar gum or xanthum gum powder to help make this new flour behave like normal flour (not so much with oat flour though). There are different blends that work better for different things... You can probably find this info online... I never perfected my mix because I'm not actually celiac... I had cut down my gluten intake as an experiment to see if it was affecting my skin.

The coffee bean grinder will work for anything small or soft... But if you want to use chickpeas or beans or any of the things that require soaking... They are too hard and you will need a heavy duty grinder.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    You can make your own. If you are already using GF oats, buy a cheap coffee bean grinder and make oat flour, or amaranth, or quinoa. You will need some guar gum or xanthum gum powder to help make this new flour behave like normal flour (not so much with oat flour though). There are different blends that work better for different things... You can probably find this info online... I never perfected my mix because I'm not actually celiac... I had cut down my gluten intake as an experiment to see if it was affecting my skin.

The coffee bean grinder will work for anything small or soft... But if you want to use chickpeas or beans or any of the things that require soaking... They are too hard and you will need a heavy duty grinder.

Yeah I never did experiment much either. I just kind of said "bagh this diet is too boring, I'm gonna eat all the thingzzz!" **drinks a handful of pills after each meal** Stupid IBS.

I guess I'm going to have to go with a meat "crustless pizza" . I can't do cauliflower crusts either. Cauliflower is high fodmap and triggers me. At least I'll get a good portion of protein from my meat pizza. ;)
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options

Yeah I never did experiment much either. I just kind of said "bagh this diet is too boring, I'm gonna eat all the thingzzz!" **drinks a handful of pills after each meal** Stupid IBS.

I guess I'm going to have to go with a meat "crustless pizza" . I can't do cauliflower crusts either. Cauliflower is high fodmap and triggers me. At least I'll get a good portion of protein from my meat pizza. ;)

Bob's Red Mill makes a gf pizza dough mix, if nothing else spurge on a few of those & pay shipping, dd will use corn tortillas as a pizza crust as well.