cardio or weights??

Options
Ok I'm 5'10 48 and 300# trying loose weight I have a hand that I can't use that much to lift serious weight I do from 30 to 60 min treadmill 4 or 5 times a week and use weight machine 3 or 4 x a week should I just do all cardio to loose weight or cut down and do more weight training???

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that you continue to do both, and be very focused on counting your calories to maintain a deficit that targets 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Both. You need to both take care of your heart and maintain and gain muscle mass.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I also say go with both. Weight loss has more to do with eating at a proper deficit. Cardio is for cardiovascular health, and weights are to retain lean muscle mass and increase strength.

What is the issue with your hand? Is it an injury, or something else? Is is permanent, or is it something that can improve?
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Both
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I vote both. But understand that diet does WAY more to achieve weight loss than any form of exercise. And as you build muscle while losing fat (and you can achieve that because of your specific body composition), you will hit plateaus when you're building muscle, shedding fat, dropping clothing sizes but not losing weight. It's all good because you're still shredding fat.

If you can afford it, go get a starting DEXA scan to see what you lean mass is vs. fat mass. Then go back in six months to see your progress. I found it very motivating when I was stuck on a very long term plateau. I had added muscle and bone density, while losing fat, and dropped 4 sizes, but the scale would not budge. For 18 months!
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You might consider isometric exercised instead of weights at this time. There's a good book about it on Amazon. Isometric Power Revolution by John Peterson. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1932458549/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1453177683&sr=1-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=John+E.+Peterson&dpPl=1&dpID=51PbNxwIg9L&ref=plSrch

At your size, you'd still be building muscles while doing a variety of planks, squats and lunges, wall or counter-height push ups, etc. Even doing whole-body muscle contractions every few hours helps.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As others have said diet is more important than either exercise. I dropped 85 pounds last year without touching a weight. I did a ton of cardio and that absolutely helped allot but counting my calories are what I give 75 percent of the credit to. The best route imo is lots of cardio and some weight training, you won't build and muscle lifting your just focusing on keeping the muscle you have but calorie deficit is all that's important. If you eat more run more, on days you don't eat much it's a good ha but, but not as necessary to get that workout in.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Both!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I lost 40kg just from weights.

I lost the other 20 from weights and cardio.

I can't give you a like for like comparison, but both aid weight loss. One supports muscle retention, the other focuses on losing fat.

Do both.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I figured 30 min cardio 30 min strength training be good I average 1200 calories a day
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i would suggest getting on a structured beginner lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine, and then do some cardio on your off days, and make sure you get one, 100% rest day...
  • JennyTor1
    JennyTor1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day seems awfully low for your current weight and gender. 1500 calories a day is about the minimum recommended calorie intake for (most) men. You might consider upping your calorie intake to at least that. You'll still lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your diet is going to have a far more profound impact on weight management. As a matter of general fitness both cardio and resistance training are important...cardiovascular exercise for your cardiovascular health and resistance training to build a strong body.

Diet for weight management, exercise for fitness and general well being.

I cycle anywhere from 80-100 miles + per week...I lift 3x per week...I walk my dog regularly and as a family we're always out and about being recreationally active. I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of those things, with the difference in my weight being how much I was eating, not my exercise.

While diet and exercise generally work in conjunction with each other, try to start thinking about them as separate things...exercise for you health and well being and eat at a level appropriate to that activity level to manage weight.
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and logging absolutely everything? There are exceptions but most people are way underestimating calorie consumption. 1200 calories seems low for an inactive person if you mix in exercise your way to Low to continue at that deficit. I stayed around 2000 calories when I was losing weight
  • tugsandpulls760
    Options
    Forget to mention I had wls the sleeve so my nutrition say 1200 is good
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    Forget to mention I had wls the sleeve so my nutrition say 1200 is good

How long ago did you have the surgery? 1200 calories should see an insane drop in weight no matter how active you are at your current weight. Good luck on your journey and good job on taking the first couple steps!
  • tugsandpulls760
    Options
    Had it in sept lost 85# so far