ED recovers I need questions answered....

Options
Beautiful_Warrior94
Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
edited January 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Okay well I have several questions. I have been diagnosed with anorexia when I was 17 and recovered from that, however I keep finding myself relapsing on and off and I hate it! I hate constantly worrying about the weight scale and feeling like I have to burn off every calorie I take in.

I know I burn a lot in the gym for my workouts don't bother mentioning that it's dangerous because I know already.

My main questions:

What's therapy like? I believe a found a few different therapist close to my house specialized in this issue.

Typically how long does recover go for?

Is it possible to recover without gaining and getting fat? I'm not underweight anymore. I'm a healthy weight.

[post edited by MFP mod]

Replies

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Therapy is different for each individual person from each method of therapist. All you can do is keep an open mind. It is also fair to say that "healthy weight" may be completely subjectively different than what you doctor believes. ED can really mess with a person's standards and self-image. You may be encouraged to still add weight. Hopefully your therapist and you click. It won't always be easy but they are trying to guide you to be the healthiest you mentally and physically. Understand the both of you may address some things you would never share. ED have been strongly linked to sexual abuse and other out-of-your-control history. Recovery is up to you. The more open you are the easier it may be to address any underline issues. Don't lie and take your time to understand yourself. Estimated time is undetermined.

I hope you are able to find the help you are looking for.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Beautiful_Warrior94 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    By any chance do you know if therapy does weekends?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from many years of experience.......I did traditional "therapy" in my late teens and early 20's. Got to a place where I was not "active" with an ED but none of the thoughts went away and most of the reasons for it were never resolved in spite of literally years of therapy (lots of psychologists and psychiatrists and hospital stays that all were ED "experts"). The one thing that removed all of that garbage just happened this past few months. We use homeopathy for our healthcare and my homeopath literally walked me through the things that caused my ED in the first place, treated me homeopathically, and I was done. We accomplished more in 60 days then I did in 5-6yrs of specialized eating disorder therapy. It was worth every penny (CHEAP comparatively) and I am finally free. My h-path is worth gold and I will be forever indebted to her for helping me get rid of the thought patterns and issues that caused it in the first place. I'm 46 now. A waste of 20yrs fighting the thoughts! If only I'd known back then what I do now about healing the body, soul and spirit.
  • rnewyn
    rnewyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Therapy is super great. Shop around until you find a therapist you feel comfortable with. Just do a Google search on "eating disorder therapists" in your area. No, they do NOT want you to get fat!!! It's just talking, stretching your brain to see old problems in new ways, and learning skills to help you cope with life better. 10/10 highly recommend!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    By any chance do you know if therapy does weekends?

Every therapist will have different office hours. Some may work on weekends and others may not. You would have to call each one in your area and see who is available for weekend appointments.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    Okay I think I may know who I am going to start going to. But is it possible by any chance to recover without gaining weight?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That's a question for your doctor. We aren't qualified to answer that.
    I would start by making an appt right away
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Okay I think I may know who I am going to start going to. But is it possible by any chance to recover without gaining weight?

This all depends on where you are weight/lean mass-wise and if the therapist believes you've replaced all the physical mass you lost. There is a saying: "The mind can only recover after the body does."

That is to say recovery is a two step process and you must recover all your weight before the adaptations of the brain can really be addressed. Recovery of the mind is tricky, though, because areas of the brain responsible for reward mechanisms as well as perceptions on meeting actual energy demands literally mutates which is why aspects of the disease still remains post-recovery in many anorexics.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Therapy for the win! Congrats on getting back to a healthy weight - That's such a huge achievement. Please see a counselor/therapist - if you don't like the first one try another - and keep trying until you find someone you like. (Sometimes we just don't hit it off with the first person we see - that's ok - don't give up.)
    Are you workouts all cardio based? Have you considered weight lifting? I would verify with your MD/Therapist but it may be something you'd enjoy. Do you set non-scale related goals for yourself? Perhaps if I eat XXX calories today I can buy that new shirt, or something of the likeness.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    engodwin wrote: »
    Therapy for the win! Congrats on getting back to a healthy weight - That's such a huge achievement. Please see a counselor/therapist - if you don't like the first one try another - and keep trying until you find someone you like. (Sometimes we just don't hit it off with the first person we see - that's ok - don't give up.)
    Are you workouts all cardio based? Have you considered weight lifting? I would verify with your MD/Therapist but it may be something you'd enjoy. Do you set non-scale related goals for yourself? Perhaps if I eat XXX calories today I can buy that new shirt, or something of the likeness.

I will admit I love cardio. Especially running but I'm trying to incorporate more strength training to tone up and get stronger. My fiancé is helping me there.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    Another question.

But does it make sense to have certain jobs trigger your eating disorder? Like I'm a housekeeper and we are required to clean everything to make it spotless and perfect. So if I make a mistake I just, I don't know I feel useless and like I'm not perfect enough myself. I don't know if I should look for another job or what.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    OP - I'm a tad confused...you write that you were diagnosed with Anorexia @ 17 and 'recovered' - then you ask about therapy and if it works. How did you 'recover' from Anorexia without therapy in the first place? I have Anorexia and have been in therapy for years - from what my Therapists have told me - you're never fully 'recovered' - it's like being an Alcoholic - you can stop drinking and be 'dry' - but you will always be an Alcoholic. I will always be an Anorexic - I've been healthy for over a decade - but whenever I have stress or anxiety in my life. I lean towards anorexic tendencies. Did Therapy help? YES - it most certainly did. Did it 'cure' me? Again, from my years of therapy - I'm of the understanding that you're never fully 'cured' - you learn techniques on how to live with it.
  • Beautiful_Warrior94
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    OP - I'm a tad confused...you write that you were diagnosed with Anorexia @ 17 and 'recovered' - then you ask about therapy and if it works. How did you 'recover' from Anorexia without therapy in the first place? I have Anorexia and have been in therapy for years - from what my Therapists have told me - you're never fully 'recovered' - it's like being an Alcoholic - you can stop drinking and be 'dry' - but you will always be an Alcoholic. I will always be an Anorexic - I've been healthy for over a decade - but whenever I have stress or anxiety in my life. I lean towards anorexic tendencies. Did Therapy help? YES - it most certainly did. Did it 'cure' me? Again, from my years of therapy - I'm of the understanding that you're never fully 'cured' - you learn techniques on how to live with it.

I never said I was fully recovered. I'm sorry if I worded it that way. I'm still in the process of recovering.