When to mix it up?

Options
I have heard that a persons body gets used to the same exercise being repeated, in part because it becomes more efficient at that particular movement. I am getting into running and still losing weight but was wondering how long before I need to add in something different to keep the calories burning? I do strength training it is cardio I am asking about if anyone knows the thresholds please?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It takes so many calories to move your bodyweight over a certain distance when running - that you find it easier is because you are getting fitter. As you get lighter you will be moving less weight and burning less calories but you can easily compensate by going faster for the same duration or further at the same speed.

There are some more technical cardio exercises where technique improvements will significantly change your efficiency (swimming and rowing as examples) but running is pretty much running.

When to mix it up is down to boredom or if it's not pushing you hard enough - nothing to do with calorie burns.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It takes so many calories to move your bodyweight over a certain distance when running - that you find it easier is because you are getting fitter. As you get lighter you will be moving less weight and burning less calories but you can easily compensate by going faster for the same duration or further at the same speed.

There are some more technical cardio exercises where technique improvements will significantly change your efficiency (swimming and rowing as examples) but running is pretty much running.

When to mix it up is down to boredom or if it's not pushing you hard enough - nothing to do with calorie burns.

Thanks for that!