ADHD and impulsive eating.

Options
JacquiD22
JacquiD22 Posts: 5 Member
I know there are those of you who may not believe that ADHD is a real disorder and I can respect that; sometimes I feel like it's just personality flaws.

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 13 and as an adult who struggles to be "normal" I believe it is a ligitimate issue.

The biggest hurdle I face with my weight loss efforts is impulsive behaviors, specifically impulsive eating. It's like I have the impulse control of a 3 year old, and it's balls.

Just wondering if anyone else faces this challenge and what suggestions anyone may have.

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day. I log everything I'm going to eat for the day at 6AM (or thereabouts), after I get my lunch bag packed. I also pack extra veggies in case I do want something above and beyond my planned snacks. Sometimes I eat the extra veggies, sometimes I don't.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have ADD, so my problem is more the focusing aspect, and not so much the impulsivity. But, I do have some impulsiveness. Like any other aspect in my life, I have had to learn how to manage it and not use it as an excuse.
  • JacquiD22
    Options
    Thanks choppie70. I see my symptoms more as an explanation of what's going on. I don't believe the disorder excuses any behavior associated to it. I definitely need to learn to manage this. That's the part I'm having issues with. I find it baffling because there are other symptoms that I have managed to get under control. Impulsive has been the most difficult for me.

Any thoughts?
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I prelog all of the food that I am going to eat for the day (except dinner). That helps me to know exactly what I can and can't have. It also makes me think about those times when I want to just grab something to eat that I did not log. Then, my dinner depends on what I ate and did not eat during the day as there are days when I eat things I don't prelog. Lately I have a craving for the Hot Tamales Candy. ;) Because I prelog, I am more likely to stop and think about what I am grabbing to eat.
  • JacquiD22
    Options
    Looks like pre-logging is the next thing I try.

Thanks for the suggestion guys ☺
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've been doctor diagnosed as having ADD twice in my life. I prelog my day every single morning, it's become part of my morning routine. When I get distracted during the day (happens every single day) it's nice to have something to refer to throughout the day.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Prelog. I plan a bunch of treat options for different parts of the day. Then it's all factored in so I know I can afford a snack or treat. If I don't eat it, then I delete it and eat more dinner or enjoy a different snack later.

And I mentally prepare myself for handling situations where I might be tempted to eat something that isn't already logged. For example, I know my mother-in-law will have cake and ice cream at every single Sunday dinner. I log everything before breakfast, because dinner is my weakest time of the day, and if I can squeeze in an extra portion or dessert by going light on breakfast then I plan on that. But, if I can't fit in the cake (which I don't love anyway), then I tell myself to move to the living room after cleaning up dinner, and chat with everyone from the next room. If I sit around the table I'm guaranteed to give in and grab a plate once it's handed to me. So literally, I go through the whole situation mentally. I practice turning it down, I practice looking away, etc.