Do you do weights before cardio?

Options
Or vice versa. 2 days a week Iv started working out twice a day. Does it matter which one I do first?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, if you're doing one immediately after the other, weights should be first.

If you're doing one workout in the morning and the other in the afternoon, it shouldn't matter. Personally, I would still do weights first.

~Lyssa
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Work out pretty much every day....weights first for 30ish minutes and cardio for 30-35 minutes. Normally I go right into the weights...my warm up is the 1.5 km walk to the gym.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do cardio first as a warm up, but I'm not aiming for maxing out on my weights which I think is where the concern comes in ie saving energy for major lifts
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do weights in the p.m. because it helps me sleep better at night. If I do card later in the day, it messes with my sleep cycle.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Cardio before weights
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do cardio then weights but due to a injury I'm doing light weight
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When I have cardio programmed, it's last or with just some core or body weight correctives after.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I do them on separate days but if they were together, weights are first.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cardio first. If I do it last, my form is all out
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    weights first or i cant lift at my best because of 30 mins of cardio . Everyone is different though .
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do weights first followed by cardio if I'm doing both in the same workout. However, on weekdays I usually do my cardio at work during my lunch break because (1) there's no safety rack and (2) there's only 1 barbell. I will then do strength after work at the gym I'm registered with.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is ideal, but I mix the weights in. I do twenty minutes of cardio followed by a set of 3 barbell exercises. Then 10 minutes of cardio and weights again, and repeat. It takes just over an hour and I don't get bored. However, I am not lifting any really heavy weights yet. It works great for keeping a high heart rate going!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you're putting maximum effort into your lifts, you should have very little energy to do any kind of intensive cardio afterwards...I'm basically spent...the most I do is an easy spin on the bike to cool down.

Likewise, if you're putting maximum effort into your cardiovascular work then you should have very little energy to put towards lifting afterwards. Personally, there's no way in hell I'm getting under a heavy barbell after an intensive cardio session.

I do cardio on my lifting days, but I do it in the AM and lift in the PM and I also do cardio on my off lifting days and I take 1-2 rest/recovery days per week.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    For me its always weights first as this is the area I'm prioritizing. I do 30 mins of LISS on the treadmill afterwards to burn some extra calories.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Okay my answer is complicated. I do a short 10-15 minute cardio warm up before I lift, then I get my lifting finished up (I do compound lifts so I want to be fresh when I do those instead of tired out after a session of cardio) and then I would do my full cardio afterwards. If it's at different times of the day then it doesn't really matter to me, I usually end up doing cardio first because it's a morning RPM class that I really want to go to.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Weights first. Your chances of injury become much higher when you've already fatigued your muscles before weight/strength training, plus if you're too tired to do the exercises properly, then you won't be getting the benefit from strength training in the first place.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options

1) Around 10 minutes light cardio warm up in the rowing machine and/or the walking track before strength training.
    2) Strength training workout (free weights and machines), split program.
    3) ARC Trainer 20 to 30 minutes at higher intensity, and depending on how tired I am and how much lifting I did before.
    4) Cool down and stretches Pilates exercises for 10 to 15 minutes.

All of the above it is changed or modified depending on what and how much I am lifting in a particular day. Nothing is written in stone.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I do 5 mins on the elliptical just to warm up, then lift, then 10-15 mins rowing or elliptical after lifting. Personal preference.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Weights first and HIIT after
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Shesaleo18 wrote: »
    Or vice versa. 2 days a week Iv started working out twice a day. Does it matter which one I do first?

Always do weights first. Compound movements then steady pace cardio. I wouldn't torture myself with HIIT. Have you sorted out your diet?