Any helpful tips on gaining

Options
A few years ago I went through a trauma and lost a lot of weight, today I weighed in at 97 pounds. My goal is to get back to 110-115 pounds; which is what I weighed before the incident. I'm already drinking 2 protein shakes a day, but I'm not getting the results I want.

Anyone else with truama/weight loss issues? Did you overcome it, if so, how?

Replies

• mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Find your tdee and add 500. Or just set goal in mfp to gain weight.
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to eat more. Protein shakes are okay, but nothing is going to beat real meals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat higher calorie foods and not any diet foods; nuts, avocado, cheese (on everything), full fat dairy, bagels/pancakes/etc, peanut butter (even out of the jar), ice cream, drink some calories (chocolate milk), red meats, high calorie protein bars, high calorie protein shakes and so much more.
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    RedWolf09 wrote: »
    Force yourself to eat more. Protein shakes are okay, but nothing is going to beat real meals.

agree with this, protein shakes are meant to supplement your diet so make sure you're eating enough besides them. you're gonna need more carbs to gain weight as well. eat more food - pasta, meat, eggs, milk, potatos, peanut butter sandwiches, bananas, etc. etc.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Eat higher calorie foods and not any diet foods; nuts, avocado, cheese (on everything), full fat dairy, bagels/pancakes/etc, peanut butter (even out of the jar), ice cream, drink some calories (chocolate milk), red meats, high calorie protein bars, high calorie protein shakes and so much more.

+1

Just make sure that you work out (particularly strength training) while you do this so you gain muscle and not all fat
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, pumpkin pie, peanut butter, doughnuts...these are all part of my daily bulking diet and even usually when I'm cutting...
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eat a lot of white rice, bread, fruit smoothies, pasta, drink whole milk (drinking low fat right now so I can fit rice in my diet). If I am not restricted to eat 3000-3500 (very active) I can eat 6 cups of rice in one sitting (a lot of calories). When I weigh my dry rice to cook, it's around 750-800 in total a day (the rest is pasta and little veggies). I can easily eat 2000g of rice throughout the day (if not more) and that is 7,111 cals (calculated it). Right now gaining weight steadily.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    *corrected not 750-800. It's usually around 260g of rice and that is 924 cals. It's not a lot :'( . Wish I could eat more but my 6 meals will have no variety lol
  • danielle4216
    danielle4216 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

+1

Just make sure that you work out (particularly strength training) while you do this so you gain muscle and not all fat

Working out is great but if you have trouble gaining weight I think it would help more to focus on not burning too many calories
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

+1

Working out is great but if you have trouble gaining weight I think it would help more to focus on not burning too many calories

Luckily, lifting doesn't burn that many calories. The benefits are well worth the extra food. Lift for an hour? Eat Ben and Jerrys. Profit.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are there other shakes that would be better for weight-gaining rather than just protein? And, as others have noted, the shakes should be in addition to your full complement of daily healthy food choices. Not as meal replacements.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    There are shakes that can total 650 calories for one serving. Optimum Nutrition makes one.

All in all, gaining weight is about surplus. Calorie dense is the way to go. For me, I like pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    When I was in college there was this amazing bakery that fried doughnuts using better oils (like canola) instead of the saturated fat monstrosities. I was thinner then and ate there every other day. I gained 10 lbs in a year...but it was worth it. :)