Water aerobics - resistance work?

Options
I regularly participate in a water aerobics class, where along with cardio, we do a lots of work with water bells and noodles. Can this be considered resistance training?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Yes, depending in your initial strength. If you are a weight lifter you won't see the benefit.
    If you are using aqua fit as your intro to exercise and fitness it is excellent. Not only does it offer resistance when using the accessories it is resistance work the whole session; you are moving your body against the water. It is also great for cardio, balance, posture, and flexibility.
    Carry on doing it and pushing your boundaries while doing it. When you feel you have peaked in the resistance portion, find a land based form of resistance work that you like.

Cheers, h.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I am definitely not a weight lifter. I am a 59 year old female who 6 months ago was morbidly obese and completely sedentary. I have since lost 59 lbs. I did use aqua fit, as well as yoga and lots of walking as my intro into exercise and fitness. I don't feel I have peaked yet in aqua fit, my facility has equipment with various degrees of resistance, and I am still working with the mid-range pieces. But I am much stronger now and am considering other options in the short-term future.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @ridge4mfp I started it when I was 54 and just starting to lose weight, counting my calories etc.
    I had never exercised before, and hated exercise, so it was a good introduction. I did it 3 times a week and that was enough for my first 9 months.
    I then introduced Pilates, belly dancing, Zumba and the Nerdfittness bodyweight routine over the next few years.

Recently I swapped all those out and I am now concentrating on learning to swim, my goal is 1km by the end if march, and weight lifting.
    Aqua fit is still my fall back though.

Cheers, h.