2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I started watching my iron intake about 4 months ago. I hit it nearly every day, although I am not certain how much is actually absorbed. Dried apricots, raisins, oatmeal, iron fortified cereals, eggs, pancakes, beef, and spinach are the items I've increased to hit the target. I wasn't appreciating the side effects of iron containing supplements either. Although I'm not iron deficient either, it was just something I wanted to focus on, because I noticed that my diet was consistently low last year. I've also considered this guy, but have not decided yet:

http://www.luckyironfish.com/

You're kidding right? :)

No, not kidding. I think it's a great idea, but I'm not certain I would use it all that much. I like that they give back to communities that need it, so I was thinking of just giving them some money.

The concept isn't as mad as it seems on first reading actually

I spent some time reading the site. If cast iron skillets can work, I can see the fish being helpful. I was trying to decide if that was a sarcastic "You're kidding" or not :laugh: It would certainly not be the strangest idea put forth on the forums :bigsmile:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I use a liquid iron supplement which you add into orange juice. Avoids the tummy issues iron tablets cause me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    As a rule of thumb always expect sarcasm

That one wasn't though it was a knee jerk before I actually thought about it ...sorry

Would like to see the results of the study though
  • nutmegoreo
    As a rule of thumb always expect sarcasm

That one wasn't though it was a knee jerk before I actually thought about it ...sorry

Would like to see the results of the study though

Nothing to be sorry about. I wasn't offended. Just curious. I will see if I can find anything on the University database for research. I know the site had some stuff, but obviously it's best to have independent studies.
  • chelliebabe2000
    chelliebabe2000 Posts: 30 Member
    Iron skillets and fish??...
    Is that where we're at or am I slow on the uptake lol....
    ...iron skillet and steak, is that A+?
  • nutmegoreo
    edited January 2016
    Iron skillets and fish??...
    Is that where we're at or am I slow on the uptake lol....
    ...iron skillet and steak, is that A+?

Nope, you get an A+. The fish was an interesting idea posted here by another user before Christmas, so I had been rolling it around in my head. Cast iron skillets have been know to be very helpful. Lots of possible food sources, and the liquid drops as another option.

I personally haven't tried the liquid drops, but they sound like a good alternative. I decided to start with dietary changes, but there are obviously a lot of options out there. :smile:
  • chelliebabe2000
    Thanks heaps for all your input.
    I feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall most days.
    2 weeks beforey next set of tests. Fingers crossed
  • kristengregson43
    kristengregson43 Posts: 10 Member
    Are you pregnant or did you recently give birth??
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Thanks heaps for all your input.
    I feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall most days.
    2 weeks beforey next set of tests. Fingers crossed

Good luck.

My first results this week.

Have you tried the liquid sup or same side effects? Might help prevent head banging! :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Have you considered iron injections? Their side effects are heaps and bounds milder (from experience)
  • jonesdebz
    jonesdebz Posts: 2 Member
    There is also spatone liquid.u just add a sachet to orange juice.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Op - I noticed your thread asking about Aussies

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1156904/rollcall-for-current-and-active-aussie-mfpers#latest

Our area codes same numbers, diff mix...caught my eye.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I agree with finding out why you are anemic. There are a lot of health issues that can lead to anemia so it may reoccur if it is not addressed. Celiac disease was mentioned, and there are many others.

Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Why are you adverse to supplementing?
    I've had bad experiences with iron supplements before. I had many side effects associated with them.
    It's not that I won't supplement, it's that I'd prefer not to.
    If I could find a nutritious, iron enriched meal plan, it would be something I'd rather exhaust to the end.

I tried five or so different forms of iron before I found Iron Bisglycinate, which effectively raises my iron levels without side effects.

Because of my extremely heavy periods, it's not possible for me to get enough iron from foods alone, but if that was my goal, I'd look for heme iron (iron from meat.) I'd probably hold my nose and drink chicken liver smoothies. (Because I hate liver, but chicken liver is very high in heme iron.) And I'd get the liver from chickens not raised on factory farms, as I get all my meat, but I believe this would be especially important for liver.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/meat-contains-high-iron-4454.html

Eating meat is a good way to increase your iron intake, as it contains heme iron, the type of iron that is more easily absorbed by your body. Plant-based iron sources contain non-heme iron, which is absorbed two to three times less efficiently than heme iron. Foods that are a good source of iron contain at least 10 percent of the daily value for iron, and for a food to be high in iron it should contain at least 20 percent of the DV.

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/dietary_sources_iron.html

659a3e81928c5bff5ba2fd6e7308afba.png
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    I used spatone liquid in a slash of OJ as I had problems taking iron tablets, and also started to eat a lot of chicken liver - usually in peri-peri sauce.
  • chelliebabe2000
    Are you pregnant or did you recently give birth??

No I'm not pregnant, I haven't given birth lately and all related girl stuff is like clockwork.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I have ulcery problems, so I got to go through testing for internal bleeding, lol. It wasn't that (thank God). It was my period and also, imho, when I drank coffee and took supplements. I drank coffee with lots of milk and/or took my Rx acid reducing pills and Mg/Ca supplement with meals. That causes absorption problems with the iron I did eat. It needs an acidic environment without caffeine for best absorption. If anyone drinks a lot of milk and coffee (I cut this nearly out since), it can be hard to eat the iron at the right time!

The same thing would go for caffeinated sodas, I'd think.

It took several months for the Rx pills to build my blood back up, but since then things have been great even when I was off the Rx iron for a few months. The Rx ones are really large amounts of iron, so they are a pain. I'd start with a prenatal vitamin if I knew I ran a bit low and was going to start supplementing. But only if you know you are low, y'all. Too much iron has its own problems.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I just came in to say that i previously had the same problem, and i highly highly recommend spatone iron rich water.

I kept having my doctor prescribe me iron, trying new types of iron, trying to increase it in my diet, etc. At one point i refused to try more because it was making me constipated, stomach upset, etc. it was REALLY bad and not worth it to me.

I seriously have never EVER had a problem with spatone. I add it to some OJ (because iron is absorbed better with vitamin c) and you can barely even taste it. Within 6 weeks my levels were in the normal range. HIGHLY recommend it.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Cast iron skillets absolutely work to raise iron levels. Another idea would be an iron fortified breakfast cereal. 100% of daily value in one serving.