exercised 6 days a week and gained 2lbs?!

Options
So, I exercised 6 days this week and took at least 10,000 steps daily.
I have a food scale and measuring cups and spoons, which I used when I ate and I ate about 1200-1300 calories daily.
Stepped on the scale and I have gained 2lbs this week!!
The only possible explanation that comes to my mind is that I'm on the 2nd day of my period.
Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome; I'm also kind of venting!!
For your reference, I'm 5' 3.75'', 22 year old female, and as of today I weigh 221.1 lbs.
I do keep measurements, but they are a bit embarrassing :D

Replies

• FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I go up 5 lbs when I'm on my period, and I'm 140 lbs normally and the same height as you, so that's a huge fluctuation. It's all water retention, comes right off. Also, if you've just started working out or upped the intensity of your workouts, that can cause some water retention as your muscles repair.

Don't let it set you back -- eating 12-1300 Cals and exercising, there's no way you gained 2 lbs of fat. Just keep at it! =)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Ditch the measuring cups and spoons and only use the food scale for all solid and semi-solid food.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes assuming you're calculating calories correctly it's most likely temp water retention/gain due to hormones, exercise-related or excess sodium. Keep at it, keep drinking plenty of water and don't worry about short term spikes - look at longer term trends.
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. I go up 5 lbs when I'm on my period, and I'm 140 lbs normally and the same height as you, so that's a huge fluctuation. It's all water retention, comes right off. Also, if you've just started working out or upped the intensity of your workouts, that can cause some water retention as your muscles repair.

Don't let it set you back -- eating 12-1300 Cals and exercising, there's no way you gained 2 lbs of fat. Just keep at it! =)

Yes, i did start a new workout program. Thanks for the kind words. :)
  • vickikreisson
    vickikreisson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If its a new and intense program your muscle tissues will be increasing in both strength and water absorption. My advice is to throw out the scales and use body composition instead. That way you will see your body fat going down and your lean muscle mass going up..... Far more motivating than using weight at the moment. This app is awesome for control of food intake but I do wish they would provide the option to track bodyfat percentage and lean muscle rather than weight.... Weight is not an accurate measure, especially for those who train :)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Ditch the measuring cups and spoons and only use the food scale for all solid and semi-solid food.

This^^^ Nearly everyone who complains they are not losing weight use measuring cups.

• soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a new convert to trendweight.com (thanks MFP) which sorts all of this weight fluctuation thing out for you. It's really great, you should try it for sure
  • mou_254
    Options
    soniaf wrote: »
    I am a new convert to trendweight.com (thanks MFP) which sorts all of this weight fluctuation thing out for you. It's really great, you should try it for sure

Thanks a lot! Will try it out now!!

• mou_254
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

This^^^ Nearly everyone who complains they are not losing weight use measuring cups.

I use them rarely; in fact I use only the spoons to measure out oil, or stuff like that! All solid and semi solid food is measured on the food scale.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    soniaf wrote: »

I second the trendweight.com endorsement! I don't gain during my period, but I do during ovulation. Here's a graph from the last four weeks of my weigh-ins. The high weights are from ovulation, water retention after a higher sodium day, or just water retention in general. Trendweight has shown me what to expect from my body and keeps me on track knowing that I'm still losing weight regardless of the number on the scale jumping up sometimes.

4w.png
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I go up 2-3lbs during my TOM and ovulation too. Give it a few days for the water weight to fall off again, drink lots of water too.