When the scale is not an option...?

Options
I had foot surgery on Thursday, and am in one of those big black Robocop-looking boots for the next several weeks. I am too swollen from surgery to consider weighing myself right now, but I'd like to at some point, just for the sake of tracking. The problem is that I literally cannot step up onto the scale at the moment, especially if I take the boot off, and probably won't be able to for another few weeks. I typically weigh myself several times a week (more data!!!), and the lack of info on my weight is driving me batty. So... anyone else been separated from the scale for a period of time? How do you know if you're losing weight or not?

Replies

• danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Since you are separated from your weigh-in scale, maybe just focus on tightening things up with your food scale? If you log very accurately and honestly, you should be fine to maintain. Good luck in your recovery! PS I am sure I would go through scale withdrawals, too, which is why I would focus more on making sure my food game was on point!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hey there, you could also take your measurements today and check them once a week. I feel your pain btw - I had to have foot surgery twice and the first time I was basically sitting on my bum for 8 weeks.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've been recovering from injuries for the past 4 months and not very active. I'm not even supposed to walk a lot because of the impact.

Since I haven't been going to the gym and don't have a scale at home, my usual every two weeks approach hasn't been practical either. I've made sure to log my food every day, at least part of it, and to stay aware of my portions.

I've weighed myself about 4 times - once at my doctor's office, and have stayed within a pound or two (I'm on maintenance). I took my measurements and a bikini picture at the beginning of the year to use as a reference for my recovery. I've just been cleared to start working out again.

My clothes still fit ok, so that's my ruler. My muscle definition is definitely reduced, which is why I took the photos. But that will change in the next few months. :D
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    One legged squat?