This is part of the problem.

Options
2»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If they gave women actual good advice that honestly produced real results then they would lose readership as they would actually be in shape and therefore wouldn't need the quick fix product or idea anymore. It's really a self perpetuating industry.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I nearly applauded when I read a UK Men's Health article about "What you can learn from your woman's workout" featuring photos of (albeit scantily clad and tartily made up) women hefting serious iron.

Weirdly, the workouts aimed at the target male audience show comparatively weedy weights, unless it's a half naked celebrity, ideally in the desert, throwing, say, monster truck tyres about. In case anyone was wondering why I subscribe to Men's Health...

I think I will have to subscribe lol

hey wait do you work for Men's Health (lol)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    39321-Margret-Gnarr-squat-10pd.jpeg
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    39321-Margret-Gnarr-squat-10pd.jpeg

Oh my...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I looked at the pic from Shape before reading the post and about fell off my chair laughing about the "deadlift". A basket of wet laundry weighs more than that.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Anyone who knows me even a little on here knows I'm a big fan of heavy lifting and what it's done for my body. And I'm fighting hard to go show that it doesn't make women bulky or manly or anything other than awesome.

I don't think that heavy lifting makes the average woman bulky (like a body builder) or manly. I do think it makes her bigger. Certain women don't want their body to increase in size even the least little bit. It's usually women who are pear-shaped, whose bodies are always going to hold more weight than average in their hips and butts no matter how much weight they lose.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Anyone who knows me even a little on here knows I'm a big fan of heavy lifting and what it's done for my body. And I'm fighting hard to go show that it doesn't make women bulky or manly or anything other than awesome.

I don't think that heavy lifting makes the average woman bulky (like a body builder) or manly. I do think it makes her bigger. Certain women don't want their body to increase in size even the least little bit. It's usually women who are pear-shaped, whose bodies are always going to hold more weight than average in their hips and butts no matter how much weight they lose.

*blink blink* All the women I know who lift, their clothing sizes get smaller. So how is it they are bigger?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

We need a rolling eyes smilie. Seriously. I'm not going to try to convince you. It's pointless. You just like to pop into threads about weightlifting and share misinformation.

I'm a pear. I'm always going to have bigger hips and *kitten* than someone who's a ruler or an apple. I'm perfectly ok with that, and it's something I can't change any more than I can make myself taller or have smaller feet.

HOWEVER, this is what I looked like when I did absolutely no strength training, or really any exercise at all, at about 125 pounds and again last fall, after a year and a half of strength training and a weight of about 135 pounds.

butt1.jpg

pinkbikini-copy.jpg

My hips and *kitten* are narrower. My quads might be a teeeeeensy bit bigger, as are my arms (thankfully! they were noodles!), but my upper thighs are about the same size.

This is how I looked after losing weight, right before I got into strength training, and now after "bulking," two years of lifting, and gaining 13 pounds.

IMG_1028-copy_zpscfb487eb.jpg

IMG_1034-copy_zps9401df43.jpg

IMG_1026-copy_zps09f3ba21.jpg

I guess my thighs might be a little bigger. Don't want them to get bigger? Don't eat at a surplus and don't gain weight.

Don't want to lift weights? Don't.

Just stop spreading misinformation.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I am a pear shape as well, and since I have started lifting I have gotten leaner. Although I weigh about 10lbs more than I did at my lightest weight, I am fitting into the same size clothes I wore at the lighter weight. I will always be a pear shape, but I am working on becoming a LEANER pear shape!

OP, I LOVE this thread! Your post topic is WHY I don't read those crappy magazines. Thank you for starting it! :flowerforyou: