Tracking Calories on a Weekly Basis

It seems like an overwhelming majority of people track macros on a daily basis, but what would be wrong with tracking macros on a weekly basis? For example, let's say I require 2,300 calories/day (times 7 days equals 16,100 calories/week). Why can I not eat light Monday through Friday (maybe 1,800 calories/day), leaving me an additional 2,500 calories to blow during the weekend on social meals, alcohol, etc.? Extrapolate this to other macros as well, and my question is: will this have negative side effects (i.e., fat gain, impeded muscle growth)? Also, has anyone tried this?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I actively dislike being restricted to the same calorie allowance daily.
    Lost my weight with the 5:2 way of eating for example.

Macro-wise I regard fat and protein as daily minimum guidelines but once I've accounted for them my carbs and calorie count varies wildly from day to day depending on exercise, social events, eating food I like etc. etc..

Humans are supremely adaptable and any side effects are likely to be minimal.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    I just ensure my weekly calories stay under 10,000. This site is a tool to help us - use it how you like.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    That is exactly how I use my premium subscription. I have different calorie goals on different days and also look at the weekly number.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    yes i work with a weekly base
    Works fine too :)

95069916.png
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Me too. I am careful daily but my goals are all for the week.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    I generally try and stay in calorie count for the day, but overall I think of it as a weekly budget, I even have a spreadsheet that I use to track, weight, calorie limit, exercise, exercise calories and total ('cause I'm a nerd and have a boring desk job) :wink:

I do bank calories for the days I will eat out at dinner and/or have wine/cider etc...

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2016
    My weekly goal is less than 14000 cals to maintain...

Some days I will only eat 1700 and then others 2300...it all balances out nicely :smiley:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I look mostly at my weekly numbers but track daily.

odweu05lpqcy.png