Vinyasa Yoga Calorie Burn

Options
I practice vinyasa yoga in a hot yoga studio 5-7 days a week for an hour. I've seen estimates (online) ranging from 400-800 calories per hour burned. MFP only has one yoga cardio exercise for 210 calories per hour. Any suggestions on somewhere to look that has a reliable calories burned calculator? I've found 3 different ones today alone with 3 different estimates.

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Your true calories burned will be individual to do, so an online calculator won't be very accurate. I would underestimate. Do you have a HRM with a chest strap you could wear during a class? While they're most accurate for steady state cardio it might give you a ball park picture. I practice as well and I really doubt that it's in the 400-800. I wouldn't even burn that running for an hour. I've worn mine a few times and depending on the class it can be between 100-300 calories.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    HRM are only good for continuous effort.
    i would estimate 400 on a hard class, 300 on a regular class. I think it gets as high in calorie burn as it does because it is more aerobic then other styles of yoga
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ..... vinyasa yoga...

Negligible above BMR to be honest. 200 cals is probably a bit high, but far closer than other estimates.

For Astanga class I'd personally go for c250cals
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I practice hot yoga as well. It doesn't burn as much as you'd think. People equate sweating a lot to burning a lot of calories, but that isn't true. Sweating just means your body is trying to cool itself down.

**Disclaimer: I know HRM are AWFUL for anything but steady-state cardio, but I wore mine for a hot yoga class once.** When I did, I saw about a 200 calorie burn for a 75 minute class in a hot studio.
  • donutbears
    donutbears Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above and says the calorie burn is somewhere between 100-300. I've done hot vinyasa flow, bikram, and hot yoga sculpt classes (heated vinyasa + cardio + weights) and have never hit over 300 cals per class. I wear a charge HR for measurements & I know it's not the most accurate but it's a good idea of where I'm at.

For a sculpt class it somewhere around 260 and a regular hot vinyasa class it less than 200 for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    donutbears wrote: »
    .... I know it's not the most accurate ....

I'm only picking out one comment about HRMs but the principle applies to all of them

It's not so much not the most accurate as completely unreliable.

That's broadly like measuring miles per gallon and using it to forecast the need to refill the screenwash.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    donutbears wrote: »
    I agree with the above and says the calorie burn is somewhere between 100-300. I've done hot vinyasa flow, bikram, and hot yoga sculpt classes (heated vinyasa + cardio + weights) and have never hit over 300 cals per class. I wear a charge HR for measurements & I know it's not the most accurate but it's a good idea of where I'm at.

For a sculpt class it somewhere around 260 and a regular hot vinyasa class it less than 200 for me.

Very similar results using the Charge HR Fitbit, estimated my hot vinyasa class at about 350/hour , regular vinyasa flow at about 200/hour.

Like posters have said above, the calorie burn for a class like this isn't super reliable, but I would err on the low side of an estimate, rather than the high.

I don't eat back my yoga calories, because I can't be sure how good the burn really was. I still do yoga because it makes me feel great though :)

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    ..... vinyasa yoga...

Negligible above BMR to be honest. 200 cals is probably a bit high, but far closer than other estimates.

For Astanga class I'd personally go for c250cals

This.