The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So behind on this thread! Can't wait to have some time to catch up on it.

Really interested in all that barefoot running and foot strike stuff. I am really asymmetrical and naturally have a forefoot strike with supination on my left foot (so I wear down the toe and outside of my left shoe), and trying to teach my right foot to do the same, cos it seems to be the ideal combo for me. My right foot is more midfoot to forefoot strike at the moment (I think it used to be more of a heelstrike on that side, but I have been consciously changing it), and I don't supinate as much on that side. But since I have been consciously trying to forefoot strike and supinate on the right foot, and make sure my right foot lands right under my hip, my medial right knee problem seems to have diminished. And if my right knee starts to hurt during my run, I think it is because my form has slipped, and if I consciously think "forefoot, supinate, foot under hip", the pain almost instantly stops. I can't imagine what happened to get me so out of whack; I mean it is pretty bizarre to have a forefoot strike on one foot combined with heelstrike on the other, but I feel like things are getting better. I am still working out shoes. I aim for a neutral shoe, but I buy so few pairs, it's hard to know what suits me best. My current shoes are Asics gel nimbus. I've had them for 19 months, and they have over 1300km on them. So I can really see my wear pattern!

This has been a mixed week for me; sick a couple of days (tummy bug), away for work a couple of days (did manage to get a run in while I was away), now rainy weather is throwing a spanner in the works. But will get my long run in tomorrow morning, rain or shine. I want to try out my new Nathan speed 2 hydration belt.

So, 6.62 km this morning @ 7:20min/km, Av HR 138, max HR 158. The last 500 metres has this sweet downhill bit where you can just stretch out and sprint without it being so steep that you have to try to pull up a bit so you don't go a** over t**.

Feb 1 6.18 km
    Feb 2 sick
    Feb 3 sick
    Feb 4 Rest
    Feb 5 11.13 km
    Feb 6 6.62 km

Total: 23.93 km / 165 km

exercise.png
  • Hydeel6582
    Hydeel6582 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to respond to any of you.. It's not like Facebook.. Lol
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Running through the city on a friday night when people are going out to eat, getting off the train/bus, etc, is a bit of a pain. Legs felt really good tonight though. Did a ton of stretching and started using the addaday roller I bought last month.

2-1: 3 miles (and 27 on bike)
    2-2: rest
    2-3: 6.6 miles
    2-4: 2.5 miles (and 30 minutes of core work)
    2-5: 4 miles

16.1 of 70
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So I've had a bad week and done literally nothing.

But I did see this video floating around Facebook and it made my night. "How hard can it be to run a half marathon untrained". He is challenged to run a half by his 80+ yo mother.
    I do not suggest trying it but it was still a nice video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8jjBroKK8k&feature=youtu.be
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too, after a month I have gotten a tad better, but mostly it just take time to be able to read through everything. Ha! Pretty active group. I have missed some responses, but basically it all works out with something for everyone periodically. So very beneficial even if it's tough to follow at times.
    Hydeel6582 wrote: »
    I am still trying to see the best way to follow this group, I'm a little lost, but I like what you are all posting and I'm trying to figure it all out. I'm usually pretty tech savvy too!

• Hydeel6582
    Options
    I enjoyed the video! I'm running a half at the end of the year but I wouldn't want to do it without training..
  • Becky_44
    Options
    I don't know how to respond to any of you.. It's not like Facebook.. Lol

Just hit the quote button, and reply there. You can also do @ and type their name, and a menu should pop up like tagging. @Hydeel6582 I have yet to master the multiple replies in one post though.
  • Becky_44
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    @MorningGhost14 what's with the middle finger? not sure who you're mad at. Care to elaborate. Seem rather unnecesary, but I'm willing to be entertained. And thanks for posting funny posters lol

It is my reaction to anyone who tells me I have too many pairs of running shoes.

Literally laughing out loud!!

@Becky_44 that's exactly what I was gonna write. Great minds think alike eh?
    @MorningGhost14 touché my friend, good one

@pansamanchada Indeed!! :smiley:
  • Hydeel6582
    Options
    @Becky_44 Thanks for the tip. When I push the quote button it gives me strange options but no window to write in.. Anyway thanks for responding to me because you was someone I wanted to talk to. I have had problems with tingling and numbness in my left foot as well, I even stop to loosen my shoe lace but it doesn't help. If I keep running it sometimes goes away but it's very bothersome... I hope dome one here has done tips to help with that...
  • Becky_44
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Hydeel6582 Hmm... When you hit quote it will show the html codes as well as the text you are quoting. Example this one shows me "[.quote="Hydeel6582;35378580"]@Becky_44 " TEXT and then [./quote] (had to add period to break the code so it would appear for you.)So you reply before or after those brackets. (Which you might know since you said you are savvy, (MFP is in a class of it's own tech wise those lmao! but that's what you should see.
    @Becky_44 Thanks for the tip. When I push the quote button it gives me strange options but no window to write in.. Anyway thanks for responding to me because you was someone I wanted to talk to. I have had problems with tingling and numbness in my left foot as well, I even stop to loosen my shoe lace but it doesn't help. If I keep running it sometimes goes away but it's very bothersome... I hope dome one here has done tips to help with that...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So I've had a bad week and done literally nothing.

But I did see this video floating around Facebook and it made my night. "How hard can it be to run a half marathon untrained". He is challenged to run a half by his 80+ yo mother.
    I do not suggest trying it but it was still a nice video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8jjBroKK8k&feature=youtu.be

Dang! I wanted to see him try to walk the next day!

Thanks for the shoe/feet info! I find it comforting that some of you have similar issues, and some of you no issues. @michable I too have the strides of two people.

I'm going to try to add some time barefoot on the TM. @MorningGhost14 as kids we use to run without shoes often. Maybe I'll find some good shoe condoms.

As far as following this thread, its some what linear. You'll find conversations to follow, others you peruse and acknowledge. I guess it's easier for those of us that have been here a bit longer, since we have come to recognize one another's interest/personalities and developed relationships. I often read something and have to hunt back, I have no idea how I miss stuff- I'm blaming MFP for lags. Hang in there.

Happy running!
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the welcomes...this board moves quickly! Very motivating.
    I managed another 2 miles today for a total of 4 so far this week. Tomorrow I do an early morning bootcamp then mid morning I'll hit the slopes. Sunday may end up being a rest day unless the pavement starts calling.

\
    exercise.png\
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    7.5 miles. TM. Incline set to 2.0. Approx 9:05 pace.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ran/walked 2.5 miles tonight.

Walked 3 mins/Ran 2 mins

I'm almost half way there at 7/15 miles and it's only the 5th. I wish I could figure out only the time I've actually been running, but I'll live with progress rather than perfection.
    zuxh43bojgsj.png
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think it is important for everybody to find what shoes work the best for them. In my case I can't run in anything other than zero drop minimalist shoes. I do have some shoes that have a little more cushioning for my 20+ mile runs, but they still need to be zero drop... or very close. I have a couple of trail shoes that are 4mm drop which are ok... but anything more than that causes me issues.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    A little bit late to the game, but back from a movie marathon at Sundance (21 films in 5 days w. no running), and happy to join in now that my legs seem to be back to normal. Setting a conservative goal of 45 miles/week as I did some swim time trials, and need to significantly ramp up my pool time with my half-ironman coming up in April, but I'll plan for 50/week.

Got in a fun 10 degree runs up/down Park City mountain with my film festival host on Monday to kick off the month, and did more trail running (w. some borrowed snowtracks) on Tuesday in the back hills of Salt Lake City. Not sure if the elevation helped too much, but definitely feeling pretty good on my runs now that I'm back in the warmer south.

2/1 - 4 miles (up/down part of Park City mountain through 2 feet of powder)
    2/2 - 5.5 miles
    2/3 - 1 miles (pre lift warmup)
    2/4 - 10 miles (7 mile tempo run + 3 recovery)
    2/5 - 5 miles

Total: 25.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 154.5 miles
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Date.…Kms….Total
    01/2….11.22....11.22
    02/2….03.64....14.86
    03/2….06.43....21.29
    04/2….02.22….23.51
    05/2….00.00….23.51
    06/2….05.05….28.56
    06/2….01.21….29.77

Goal : 180 km

Great Parkrun today! Legs are feeling good. Knees a little sore though I see the POD this week so hopefully she can recommend something! Been a crazy emotional week this week, hoping this week brings better news! Hope everyone is doing well and feeling good!

Races:
    Jan 9th – New Year (virtual) 10km 1:11:58
    Jan 30th – Park Run 5km
    Feb 6th – Park Run 5km
    February – I Love Running 10km
    February – Run For Mental Health 100km
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    February goal 80 miles

2/1 3.8
    2/2 4.17
    2/3 bad life day
    2/4 4.00
    2/5 3.82

Total 15.79

@pansamanchada : or 4 times around the perimeter of Big Island!

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I am way behind on reading all the updates. I am hoping to catch up this weekend!
    I got a good easy run in today - last run before the race on Sunday. Heading to the expo tomorrow morning and then errands and relaxing the rest of the day. I am just a little concerned about the heat. It is supposed to be in the 80's and windy on Sunday and the HM starts late - almost 8am but hopefully it won't be too hot by the finish.

Date..........Miles.........Total
    02/01.......4.15..........4.15 - Treadmill run at the hotel
    02/02.......0.00..........4.15
    02/03.......3.55..........7.70 - Treadmill run at the hotel
    02/04.......0.00..........7.70
    02/05.......4.12........11.82 - Yay for running outdoors!

exercise.png

These are my upcoming races, let me know if you are going to be running too:
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half, Huntington Beach, CA
    02/20/16 - Special Edition Divas Half, Temecula, CA
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @Hydeel6582 :) It is a little hard to keep up at first.. To respond to someone in particular, type the symbol "@" and then type the persons username ... like this.. @runner_girl83 then their name will light up and they will be notified that you responded :) As for keeping up with the pages.. I still get lost lol