not losing weight, but losing dress sizes

Options
I weigh 12st (76.4kg OR 168lb) and I'm 5"7/5"8. I'm a bit overweight according to my BMI and I haven't lost much weight on the scales but I feel thinner. I want to lose weight sensibly and not too quickly. I exercise 3-4 times a week and I try to walk to and from work which takes half an hour each way. I try to walk as much as I can. I run a lot and I've started doing some weights again. I feel a lot thinner and I'm happy with my body, but I still weigh a lot. I feel I've lost at least a dress size and a half. My mum thinks I'm close to a UK size 10 and that I'm a size 10/12 (UK sizes, that's like a 6/8 in the US).

It's so frustrating that I weigh so much! Can you even be a size 12 and weigh as much as I do? There are people who are the same height as me but weigh 2 stone less and are the same dress size as me! How comes my weight is so high? When I was 145 pounds, people thought I looked really skinny. Most people consider 168 pounds to be overweight.

Replies

• fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    People say I look like I weigh around 9.5/10 stone (133-140 pounds). My friend from work tried to guess my weight as I wouldn't tell him and he thought I weighed 65kg.
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh 12st (76.4kg OR 168lb) and I'm 5"7/5"8. I'm a bit overweight according to my BMI and I haven't lost much weight on the scales but I feel thinner. I want to lose weight sensibly and not too quickly. I exercise 3-4 times a week and I try to walk to and from work which takes half an hour each way. I try to walk as much as I can. I run a lot and I've started doing some weights again. I feel a lot thinner and I'm happy with my body, but I still weigh a lot. I feel I've lost at least a dress size and a half. My mum thinks I'm close to a UK size 10 and that I'm a size 10/12 (UK sizes, that's like a 6/8 in the US).

It's so frustrating that I weigh so much! Can you even be a size 12 and weigh as much as I do? There are people who are the same height as me but weigh 2 stone less and are the same dress size as me! How comes my weight is so high? When I was 145 pounds, people thought I looked really skinny. Most people consider 168 pounds to be overweight.

You are probably gaining some muscle with weight lifting so you are likely to be on a very little calorie deficit or maintaining. Cut back on your calories eat healthy food and try 16-8 intermittent fasting. Your workout should be 30% weights 70% cardio
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    People also tend to have a skewed perception on a healthy weight.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Why does your weight matter to you?

Take measurements. Go by that.

The scale is just a number. And doesn't tell the whole story of your progress.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

You are probably gaining some muscle with weight lifting so you are likely to be on a very little calorie deficit or maintaining. Cut back on your calories eat healthy food and try 16-8 intermittent fasting. Your workout should be 30% weights 70% cardio

I am cutting my calorie deficit enough. According to my fitbit I'm making a deficit of 1000
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Then you are definitely not gaining muscle
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't matter. Check your body fat percentage, it can give you clearer picture than your BMI.
    I know how you feel tho, people usually don't believe me when I tell them how much I weigh, they underestimate for around 5 kg (or 10 lbs). My BMI was always in the healthy range, even when my body fat was a bit too high. I lost 11lbs weight wise, but right now I'm just looking to still lower that percentage.
    Don't be too focused on the scale or BMI number, just make sure you feel good and you are healthy.
  • acey_nj
    acey_nj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey hon- don't worry about that number on the scale - you are healthy and fit and you fit into great clothes. Some people's bodies are more dense than others - your frame size - i.e.- big, medium or small boned and how much muscle you have are both factors. BMI is inaccurate for large framed muscular people. Love yourself and be happy! You are doing great!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You may or mayn't find this useful... It helped me though http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    BMW is complete *kitten*. I don't know why anyone uses it anymore. It makes no differentiation between weight from fat or muscle.

If you like how your body looks, why does it matter how much you weigh? Sounds like you are active, fit & healthy. Everyone's body is built differntly, so stop comparing yourself to others. If you like your body & what is can do, throw away the damn scale and move on with your life.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am a little shorter than you and my current goal weight is 170. I looked great at that weight years ago. I felt great. And really... that is what matters. Don't worry about what "most people" think. They don't live in your body.