• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    any good ways to burn fat fast

Don't eat carbs. Carbs make you fat.

gain more muscle tone?

Lift heavy. Try Stronglifts 5x5 as a good starting point.

Really? News to me as I eat tons and tons of pasta. Source?

I'm a fan of pesto personally.

Lol, think he was asking for their source of where they heard carbs made you fat, wan't aking for choice of sauce. Source =/= sauce.

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

I assume based on @myfelinepal posting style
    :bigsmile:
  • bashmentking987
    bashmentking987 Posts: 3 Member
    [Sligķquote="callycal412;10326635"]Does anybody know any good ways to burn fat fast and gain more muscle tone? Please help!!!![/quote]

Slight calorie deficit so your losing a pound a weekk. 1gram of protein per pound of body weight. Lower your carbs from after 6pm. And train with heavy weights.

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

And you cannot gain muscle while losing - you can only try to maintain what you already have.

Not true

You need a calorie deficit to lose fat
    You need a calorie surplus to create muscle.

It looks like those two things are mutually excusive but they're not. A calorie surplus can obviously come from eating less. However your body also metabolizes fat in the creation of muscle so you can build muscle and burn fat at the same time. There are a few exceptions - if your body composition already has a fairly low body fat percentage - say 15%(ish) or if you're close to your genetic potential of muscle building.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Does anybody know any good ways to burn fat fast and gain more muscle tone? Please help!!!!

Give Jim Stoppani's ShortCutToShred workout a shot, it will definitely accomplish what your trying to do.

So you're saying this workout is magic?

I tried it today and it kicked my butt! This is serious!

Just be careful not to lose too much fat or gain too much muscle. This kind of incredible magic power could have unintended consequences.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member

Carbs do not make you fat. Processed refined carbs (simple carbs) are processed as sugar that turns into fat if you eat too many. Complex carbs like quinoa and brown rice (including brown rice pasta) and whole wheat breads, when digested, are converted into energy and if eaten in moderation and supplemented as exercise, are actually really really important for energy, good sources of fiber in some cases, and are usually burned off so they don't get stored.

Even fruits and vegetables have carbs.

Look up the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. Simple carbs are not beneficial. Complex carbs are great!

Also, it's possible to lift heavy on a caloric deficit, I do, but I also supplement with BCAAs as well for post recovery.
  • petitxpapillon
    petitxpapillon Posts: 14 Member
    http://www.askmen.com/news/sports/scientists-reveal-holy-grail-of-losing-weight-and-gaining-muscle.html

There was a study done on this, and it is possible. Basically eat a high protein diet with a 40% cut in calories and workout 6 days a week.
    Definitely not easy, but possible nonetheless.
  • petitxpapillon
    petitxpapillon Posts: 14 Member
    http://www.askmen.com/news/sports/scientists-reveal-holy-grail-of-losing-weight-and-gaining-muscle.html

There was a study done on this, and it is possible. Basically eat a high protein diet with a 40% cut in calories and workout 6 days a week.

For keeping the weight of long term though, I think you'd be better off with a moderate diet. I recommend calculating your calories on this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Combine a low calorie diet with weightlifting 3 to 5 times a week and you should lose fat and your muscle will become more visible.
  • callycal412
    callycal412 Posts: 13 Member

Carbs do not make you fat. Processed refined carbs (simple carbs) are processed as sugar that turns into fat if you eat too many. Complex carbs like quinoa and brown rice (including brown rice pasta) and whole wheat breads, when digested, are converted into energy and if eaten in moderation and supplemented as exercise, are actually really really important for energy, good sources of fiber in some cases, and are usually burned off so they don't get stored.

Look up the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. Simple carbs are not beneficial. Complex carbs are great!

Also, it's possible to lift heavy on a caloric deficit, I do, but I also supplement with BCAAs as well for post recovery.

Good advice! Thanks!
  • callycal412
    callycal412 Posts: 13 Member

Thank u! I do need to get more protein in my diet. Havent been eating very much
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2016

You should figure out your macros for your diet. I eat around 1800 calories a day (150g protein, 175g carbs, and 45g fat + eating back some of my exercise calories) and I'm a female at 5'3.5 and 140lbs.

To be honest, I eat so much that I don't even want to think about food at the end of the day, but it's all healthy and low calorie so the volume is a lot!

I've lost 10lbs in 4.5 weeks and nearly all of that has been body fat. I've definitely put on muscle.

You don't need to eat "less" (at least volume wise) to lose fat. In fact, if you want to kick your metabolism into fat burning mode, it may be beneficial to eat a lot more of less calorie dense foods.

Here's a rather simple calculator and article you can use to calculate what you want for your goals and your lifestyle.

http://rippedbody.jp/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/

ETA: You definitely want a caloric deficit to lose weight/fat, but counting macros will help change your body composition which is what it sounds like your goal is.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

All carbs you eat that your body can digest will get turned into sugar by splitting apart the bonds. All complex carbs are simply bonds of simple carbs. Glucose and fructose to be specific. Glucose is converted to energy for use by your body. Fructose is converted to glucose, lactate, glycogen or lastly fat.
  • stevencloser

You should figure out your macros for your diet. I eat around 1800 calories a day (150g protein, 175g carbs, and 45g fat + eating back some of my exercise calories) and I'm a female at 5'3.5 and 140lbs.

To be honest, I eat so much that I don't even want to think about food at the end of the day, but it's all healthy and low calorie so the volume is a lot!

I've lost 10lbs in 4.5 weeks and nearly all of that has been body fat. I've definitely put on muscle.

You don't need to eat "less" (at least volume wise) to lose fat. In fact, if you want to kick your metabolism into fat burning mode, it may be beneficial to eat a lot more of less calorie dense foods.

Here's a rather simple calculator and article you can use to calculate what you want for your goals and your lifestyle.

http://rippedbody.jp/how-to-calculate-leangains-macros/

ETA: You definitely want a caloric deficit to lose weight/fat, but counting macros will help change your body composition which is what it sounds like your goal is.

There is no fat burning mode.
  • stevencloser

The study in question: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/01/26/ajcn.115.119339

4 weeks long, they had a huge deficit with additional HIIT training to strength training, both groups lost about the same total weight but according to their body composition analysis the high protein group gained 1 kg of lbm while the low protein group stayed the same.

I'll leave it to Evgeni or someone to look through it if it's any good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

The study in question: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/01/26/ajcn.115.119339

4 weeks long, they had a huge deficit with additional HIIT training to strength training, both groups lost about the same total weight but according to their body composition analysis the high protein group gained 1 kg of lbm while the low protein group stayed the same.

I'll leave it to Evgeni or someone to look through it if it's any good.

My questions would be were they new to strength training or returning after a layoff, what BF% were they to start off.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member

gain more muscle tone?

5x5 on a caloric deficit? I wouldn't do that. You will snap some shhh up

Um not true. It is fine to do it on a deficit

I'm doing it on a deficit and loving it.

Ditto! Addicted! Love it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    OP, one loses fat based on the calorie deficit they are in. Trying to do it fast may compromise how you feel and possibly some energy since most try to do it eating minimal calories.
    Why do you HAVE to do it fast?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I dont HAVE to do it fast. I just want this gut gone ASAP! ive been doing crunches and situps like crazy but all its doing is add muscle. I want to burn the fat off. So i beefed up my cardio a little to see what happens

situps work the hip flexors, not so much the abs. and you can do 1000 crunches a day and its not going to make a difference as you cannot spot reduce,fat comes off where it wants and it takes time as well. for example-my belly looked like I was 6 months pregnant. Ive been working out 3 1/2 years and its almost flat now. it took a lot of hard work and lifting but its coming off. sometimes it takes others longer to lose the fat and thats fine. I have no loose or excess skin so far. lift heavy and of course work your core but situps and crunches dont do much, look into core exercises(ab,obliques,etc) and do them to strengthen your core,but keep lifting and do cardio maybe 2 days a week. I lost more fat lifting more and doing less cardio,and Im female
  • jofjltncb6
    edited February 2016

This post couldn't be more wrong if it took a graduate level course titled "How to Be Wrong" in which it did all the homework (including extra credit) and earned an A.

Weight gain from a caloric surplus is indifferent as to whether those calories are from simple or complex carbs.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited February 2016

Let me guess: subjects were untrained and the amount of muscle gain was statiaticslly significant but ultimately inconsequential, right?

So not only is it "not easy", but also not applicable to many and almost certainly inconsequential for everyone.

ETA: I should have kept reading before posting since this was later addressed.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

This post couldn't be more wrong if it took a graduate level course titled "How to Be Wrong" in which it did all the homework (including extra credit) and earned an A.

Weight gain from a caloric surplus is indifferent as to whether those calories are from simple or complex carbs.

Cosign. Much basic physiology lacking in that post, as well as a profound misunderstanding of simple/complex carbs and energy balance/thermodynamics.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    I eat a lot of carbs, have a caloric deficit, and lift heavy. I'm not dead yet...at least I don't think I am.
    I found some good info on here: http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-to-calculate-macros-for-cutting/