Bulking and Carb Cycling

Options
Ive been in a bulk for about 6 weeks using 50/25/25 split. I'm getting too bloated from the carbs. I'm wondering if carb cycling may help, especially with fat gains. My only issue is I'm not sure how to Carb cycle. Do you leave your calories the same regardless and make up for the lack of carbs through fats and protein? For instance I'm eating 115 protein 225 in carbs 50 fats. I go down to under 100 grams of carbs I would take in about 180 grams of protein and around 100 grams of fat. Or do you just leave protein and fats the same and cut calories from carbs and that's that? Sorry, I've read conflicting articles and not sure. Appreciate any help.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have never seen anything mention the feeling of less bloating with carb cycling. No, it wont help limit fat. Next, you would maintain protein and switch between high carb on lifting days and low carb on non lifting days.

Honestly, I think it over complicates things a bit. And if you want, eat a little more fat and a little less carbs.
  • jennjenn760
    jennjenn760 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok, well that's what I initially just assumed. Why does there have to be so much conflicting information.... So stupid. But I do notice when I have tried a lower carb intake on off days it does help with the bloating a bit.. I may just be a little carb sensitive. Guess if I want muscle I gotta just suck it up and in
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok, well that's what I initially just assumed. Why does there have to be so much conflicting information.... So stupid. But I do notice when I have tried a lower carb intake on off days it does help with the bloating a bit.. I may just be a little carb sensitive. Guess if I want muscle I gotta just suck it up and in

What types of foods are you eating? Do you feel bloated based on the volume or on specific foods?

Also, the conflicting data stems from a lot of anecdotal evidence from the body building community. But even some of the most knowledgeable people in the field recognize it MAY be beneficial, but it generally applies to the people who are elite... those doing 2 hour workouts and completely depleting glycogen on those lifting days. Which drives the idea, if you "carb load" on lifting days, you provide the maximum amount of glycogen available to get through a workout. The issue is, the average person won't have to worry about that.
  • jennjenn760
    Options
    Basically I eat fairly good, but since this is a bulk I do enjoy variety. I do include at least two to three servings of veggies, lean meats, one or two servings of fruit such as bananas, apples or grapefruit, eggs, oats, I notice I'll bloat more with bread so I keep it to a minimum of maybe a few slices a week. Nuts, nut butters Avacado, I really don't eat processed foods. I also notice after a take a cheat meal I can be extra bloated for a few days. The bloating can then make me not feel hungry therefore I end up not eating my allotment of daily calories. For instance today I'll probably only get in maybe 15-1600 ..
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you are struggling to get calories, thrn replace some of the lean mests with fattier cuts (red meat, dark fish, ribs or white meat with skin). This will help with calories but not increase volume. With veggies, it might be beneficial to add starches instead of low calorie veggies (yams, red potatoes, corn, etc...). You can even add more dairy (full fat or 2% greek yogurt or cheese). And maybe vere away from the cleanness and get a little dirty with chocolate or ice cream. All of these are simple and will keep you away from bread.
  • jennjenn760
    Options
    I do eat red potatoes and yams, I try to stay away from sugary stuff simply because of bloating... If I eat too much sugar or sodium, then bloat. I guess it's just inevitable. But as of right now I've gained about 2 inches in my waist, around my hips, gained an inch on my arms, 2 around my back, legs almost 2 inches. I don't mind the gaining but my stomach just can't hang. I'll back off carbs for a few days maybe knock it down to 40% and take the protein and fats up to 30%
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I do eat red potatoes and yams, I try to stay away from sugary stuff simply because of bloating... If I eat too much sugar or sodium, then bloat. I guess it's just inevitable. But as of right now I've gained about 2 inches in my waist, around my hips, gained an inch on my arms, 2 around my back, legs almost 2 inches. I don't mind the gaining but my stomach just can't hang. I'll back off carbs for a few days maybe knock it down to 40% and take the protein and fats up to 30%

How much weight have you gained?

And to address the bloat from sodium, eat foods high in potassium and magnesium. They will balance your electrolytes.
  • jennjenn760
    Options
    I also do a lot of white rice because brown rice is one food I can't tolerate. If I need fats I add olive oil to my meats or salads
  • jennjenn760
    Options
    About 6-7lbs
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It's possible you have a food allergy or intolerance. But if you can tolerate lactose, then ice cream is a solid choice (especially, some of the more natural brands which don't add sugar).

BTW, do you happen to have any medical conditions? PCOS, IBS, etc..?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ive been in a bulk for about 6 weeks using 50/25/25 split. I'm getting too bloated from the carbs. I'm wondering if carb cycling may help, especially with fat gains. My only issue is I'm not sure how to Carb cycle. Do you leave your calories the same regardless and make up for the lack of carbs through fats and protein? For instance I'm eating 115 protein 225 in carbs 50 fats. I go down to under 100 grams of carbs I would take in about 180 grams of protein and around 100 grams of fat. Or do you just leave protein and fats the same and cut calories from carbs and that's that? Sorry, I've read conflicting articles and not sure. Appreciate any help.

carb cycling will not eliminate or lessen fat gain, you are going to gain fat if you carb cycle or not.

the best way to minimize fat gain is though a small - 250 calorie - surplus ….
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you feel that carbs cause you bloating and you aren't happy with that then you can just lower your carbs a bit till you don't get the bloating. I've never had an issue with carb bloating but I know many claim that they do have this issue but sometimes it's related to specific sources of carbs like wheat or whole grains in general. You might want to try playing with both your levels of carbs and sources to see if that makes a difference.
  • jennjenn760
    Options
    No IBS or any other sort of medical issue. And as for calories I'm eating about 1900 calories which is not a lot according to numerous calculators. I should be able to eat about 2100. But I am petite and do gain easily so I'm just going to assume I have a slower metabolism and I may just need less carbs. I know fat gain is inevitable. I'm thinking lowering my carbs to 40 and upping everything else to 30%
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No IBS or any other sort of medical issue. And as for calories I'm eating about 1900 calories which is not a lot according to numerous calculators. I should be able to eat about 2100. But I am petite and do gain easily so I'm just going to assume I have a slower metabolism and I may just need less carbs. I know fat gain is inevitable. I'm thinking lowering my carbs to 40 and upping everything else to 30%

while not necessary, you can add more protein. Any excess will convert to glucose anyways. Just find what makes you feel good that will allow you to maintain a surplus.
  • jennjenn760
    Options
    Last question, if I keep protein the same 0.8 -0.9 per LBM lower carbs can you go up to 40% fats? I've seen quite a bit the recommendation isn't to go over 30%, again conflicting info I've read.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Last question, if I keep protein the same 0.8 -0.9 per LBM lower carbs can you go up to 40% fats? I've seen quite a bit the recommendation isn't to go over 30%, again conflicting info I've read.

shouldn't be an issue.
  • psuLemon
    Options

shouldn't be an issue.
  • jennjenn760
    Options
    Thank you for your input.. I appreciate it
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've altered my diet to eat less carbs on off days, and thus less calories as well. It's worked well for me as far as "feeling" lean goes, but no real changes to my physique. In order to maintain a surplus on average though, I increased some fats and kept carbs high on training days. (more of a calorie cycling effect than carb cycling)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

yes, you can as the fat requirement of .45 grams per pound of body weight is a minimum requirement.