Net Calories Under Weekly Goal? TW//Anorexia Mention

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been using MFP since March of last year consistently, but only recently noticed the "net calories under weekly goal" tab. Looking back over past weeks I am around 2000-2500 calories below the weekly goal. However, on average per day I consume between 1,100-1350 calories per day (I'm 5'7", 127.4lbs, and 20 year old female). I do not know if I am depriving myself of too many calories or not.

I used to suffer from anorexia from 2013-early 2015, but I pulled myself out on my own when I realized how stupid it was to lose weight by starving myself, plus I am prone to sickness with my upper respiratory system and I didn't need anorexia causing a weakened immune system. So I am still cautious around food/calories in some ways and try to eat only healthy foods. My iron intake I believe is low, so I am going to consult a doctor on that matter. I take a multivitamin made for teenagers each day if that helps to know too.

Thank you in advance for any responses and have a lovely day.

Replies

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about malnutrition considering your past medical history, I would advise you to consolt your doctor. Take a blood test, or any other test necesary and you will see.
    If everything is fine, and you feel good I don't think you should be worried. :)
    Also what is your BMR? If you're close to your goal every day, you should be good.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight for your height, so I think any questions about your calorie intake, weight goals (loss/gain/maintenance), fitness plans, etc. are best addressed to professionals, not random strangers on the Internet.

You say that your calories logged are below the weekly goal, but are you actually losing weight? If not, then there's a discrepancy somewhere: it could be that your food logs are underestimating what you eat, it could be that MFP is underestimating your calorie needs, or it could be that you (or your fitness equipment) is overestimating calories burned by exercise. But again, it's best to talk to a professional, not Dr. Internet!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You're 5'7" and 127 pounds - what's your target weight? You are well into Healthy and are getting close to Underweight. What's your weekly weight loss goal? Any lower than 120 pounds will put you into Underweight, so I picked 120 pounds as a goal and did the math. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

To lose 0.5 pounds per week (which is the very most you should chose with this little to lose), you should eat 1,480 Calories / Day. To maintain your current weight, you should eat 1,730 Calories / Day.

Do you think you may have low iron because you have fatigue? You may also not be eating enough. Do tell your doctor your average calories.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You still aren't eating enough, unfortunately :( Your top number is more like your BMR. You'd need more like 1650 at your weight if you are sedentary. If you are active that'll be even more calories. This is for maintenance, because I sure hope you aren't trying to lose weight again! I take it you are aiming for maintenance or higher.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    I chose 'gain muscle/lose fat' which is maintenance and recomp calories.

PS - I think your weight is still quite low! I am 5'6" and 133 lbs. I was 85 lbs once in college (an illness). I definitely prefer a strong 133 :) Good luck!